Mason Jar Salad
Mason Jar Salad aka throw some veggies in a jar with dressing and you’ve got yourself a lunch.
September at TMG is all about quick and easy meals. Summer has come to an end and with that the time to make meals does too. When Kat was in university she almost never brought lunch with her. She’d wake up early enough to shower and head to class – and almost never had time to make something the night before. It took long and made a mess she just didn’t want to clean up. When she went vegan in third year that had to change.
When she went vegan and before she tapped into her cooking creativity, salads were the lunch of choice. They’re quick and easy to make, plus with the right ingredients can be absolutely delicious. Doing this created one of her go-to school lunches. All a Mason Jar Salad takes is a few minutes of your time and a quick and easy dressing. But why a mason jar? Other than the fact that it’s cute, mason jars are perfect to stake the ingredients on top of each other, are super shake-able and fit into small bags easily!
Why you should start making a Mason Jar Salad for lunch:
- Quick and easy.
- Completely customizable.
- Healthy and delicious.
Check out the full recipe and video for one of Kat’s go-to salad combinations.
Mason Jar Salad (3 Ways)
- 1 cup red leaf lettuce chopped
- 1 cup kale chopped
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ¼ cup cucumber slices quartered
- ¼ cup yellow bell peppers diced
- ⅓ cup homemade croutons
Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp yellow mustard
- pinch of pepper
Toasted Sesame Dressing
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
Creamy Dijon Dressing
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- ½ tbsp vegan mayo
- pinch salt and pepper
- ¾ tbsp white wine vinegar
- Chop all ingredients and set aside.
- Add all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix together with a small whisk or fork.
- If taking to go: pour dressing first, at the bottom of the mason jar. After that later your salad components; lettuce, kale, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers and croutons.
- If eating immediately: add ingredients to jar, dress with the dressing and shake to coat.