CHERRY PISTACHIO BISCOTTI
The Christmas season is a big deal in Kat’s house. At least for Kat it is. Something about the month of December just instantly puts her in a great mood. Between Christmas music and the lights and the delicious food, what is not to love?
Traditions were never big in Kat’s household, but one thing was certain. Every Christmas Kat’s mom would whip up endless batches of these delicious biscotti. Seriously we would go on a cookie making rant every Christmas. We had to make enough for gifts, for ourselves, and to freeze for post-holiday cookie eating. There were times when you could find twelve dozen biscotti. Yep, you calculated that right. At any point during December you could almost always find at least 144 biscotti in the freezer. So we ask again, how could you not love this holiday season?
This year Kat decided it was time to veganize them, because she just couldn’t live much longer without them.
These are the perfect cookie for any Christmas or holiday party. Each batch makes two logs of cookies which makes about 24 cookies. When it’s the holiday season no one has time for small batch cookies. You have to be efficient to get all your holiday baking done.
Whether you host the holidays or not, these cookies are for you. If you’re hosting, you will be the best host ever. If you are the guest, you’ll be the best guest ever (if you bring these cookies). Guaranteed.
They take a little bit of time to make, but they are easy to make and make a lot, we promise you that. The best part about this recipes is that you can freeze these suckers at every stage! Freeze the dough, freeze after the first baking or freeze after the second baking. Just freeze and you have biscotti forever! FOREVER! That’s our dream.
PISTACHIO CHERRY BISCOTTI
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegan butter , softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup pistachios , shelled and chopped
- 1 cup maraschino cherries , patted dry
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Using your hands, mix the flour, baking soda, butter, sugar, flax eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract, and pistachios. Mix until all the ingredients are incorporated into a soft dough. Add more water in small amounts if needed.
- Add the cherries to your dough and mix with hands until they are evenly distributed throughout the dough. It is tough and may take a while, but you will get there!
- Divide the dough in half and form two logs approximately 13 inches long, 2 inches wide and 1 inch thick. Place logs on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes and remove. Let cool for about 10 minutes. Once cool, slice into 1 inch thick strips.
- Change oven temperature to 250F.
- Place all the cut cookies back on the baking sheet on their sides. Bake for about 7 minutes on wither side, for a total of 14 minutes. If you want them harder and crunchier, bake them a couple extra minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!
Enjoy the other recipes in our How to Vegan the Holidays Series below…