Strawberry Pop Tarts
We’ve never been a big fan of store-bought pop tarts. Yes of course we loved them as kids, who didn’t? Seriously their entire grocery list is made up of essentially sugar, sugar and more sugar. Of course we loved them as kids did you not hear the ingredient list? As we got older though we began to understand the value in real ingredients. That’s why we made our own homemade vegan Strawberry Pop Tarts.
Homemade pop tarts are everything you wish store bought ones were. They’re perfectly flaky, sweet and absolutely delicious. You can actually taste the fruit in the pastry and the love that went into each one. The rusticity of the pastry adds a homey feel to each pop tart, as opposed to the shiny paper wrapped store-bought ones.
Make these babies and you’ll be sure to impress anyone; omnivore, vegetarian or vegan.
Strawberry Pop Tarts
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup cold vegan butter
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 3/4 cup organic strawberry jam
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 400F
- To a food processor add flour, sugar and cubed vegan butter and process until all mixed together. It should look like wet sand.
- Add ice water a little bit at a time and process in between additions. Stop adding water as soon as the dough comes together into a ball. You will probably have some water left over.
- Flour a clean surface and a rolling pin and roll out your dough into a rectangle about 1/8" thick.
- With a sharp knife cut an even amount of rectangles out of your dough the size you want your pop tarts to be. We ended up getting a total of 18 rectangles to make 9 pop tarts.
- Place half of your rectangles in a lined baking sheet and place about 1 tbsp of your favourite strawberry same in the centre of each. Spread it out but make sure to leave at least 1 cm of space from each edge.
- Brush the edges with water and place your pop tart top on top and press to seal. Press down with a fork for a decorated edge and to ensure they are sealed.
- With a sharp knife make 3 slits through the top of each pop tart. This is to ensure that they do not explode while they are baking.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes of until golden brown.
- While they bake you can make your icing. In a high speed blender blend your berries and water until they are broken and mashed a bit. Transfer to a small bowl and mash again. The goal is to get as much red water out of it as possible.
- Using a sieve, press your raspberry mash through to get all the liquid out.
- In a small bowl add your icing sugar and your raspberry water 1 tbsp at a time. Mix with a whisk until you get your desired consistency. We used about 3 tbsp.
- Allow your pop tarts to cool slightly and when still a little bit warm add about 1 tbsp of icing to each pop tart. It should drip to each side but you can also spread it with a knife.
- Top with sprinkles and eat away!
How to make Homemade Vegan Strawberry Pop Tarts