When you start cooking, there are typically dishes that you stay away from. Maybe you don’t like them or maybe you think they’re difficult to make. Risotto is one of those. Something about risotto just screamed ‘I AM DIFFICULT TO MAKE SO YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN’T EVEN TRY”. However we could just hearing things.
After you’ve been cooking for a while, you get over those nerves just enough to give them a try. You learn that it’s actually not hard to make risotto, it just takes some time. Our Mushroom Risotto comes together in about 20-minutes and even without dairy comes out just as creamy as you’d want it to. Plus with only 10-ingredients this risotto is surprisingly simple to make. Meaning you can make this everyday if you’re rice-obsessed like we are.
Risotto used to be a staple in Katherine’s diet before going vegan; more specifically mushroom risotto. When Kat decided to make a vegan risotto, she was hesitant. She thought it wouldn’t be as creamy and flavourful. Boy was she wrong! Every fork full is so full of flavour, you won’t believe how few ingredients are involved. Using delicious dehydrated mushrooms creates a punch of flavour in every bite. Plus the meaty texture you get from them is out of this world.
Why you need to make this Mushroom Risotto;
This Mushroom Risotto is the perfect side to our Maple Mustard Tofu or appetizer to our Creamy Chicken Pasta. Alternatively pack this recipe with even more mushrooms and enjoy this dish as your main course. Check out the full recipe and video below.
PS. Kat may have enjoyed this recipe for breakfast the other day, and well it makes a delicious breakfast as well. If you don’t care what you eat at breakfast, that is…
Flower Mushroom Risotto
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1-2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 cup sliced dehydrated flower mushrooms
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp sage
- nutritional yeast
- 1-2 cup water
- Boil water or your vegetable stock and re-hydrate your mushrooms in the heated liquid for about 10-15 minutes.
- Mince your garlic, thyme and sage and set aside. Remove your mushrooms from your liquid and slice them about 1/4 of an inch thick.
- In a medium pot sautee your minced garlic with your oil on medium heat for about 2 minutes. Stirring frequently in order to avoid burnt garlic.
- Add your sliced mushrooms and sautee for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add your rice, then immediately add your vegetable stock and herbs.
- Bring your stock to a boil and then immediately lower the heat to simmer for about 30 minutes. You want to stir occasionally. Depending on the rice you use, you will need to add more water. Once the water looks all absorbed taste your rice and add more water if it is still hard. We ended up having to add 1 1/2 cups more water.
- Once the rice is cooked, stir in your nutritional yeast and serve.
How to make Vegan Mushroom Risotto