Vegan Tofu Benedict
Hello February! All January we did a series called Go Vegan, Not Broke and it’s been a blast. However we can’t wait to share some new recipes with you. Love day, also know as Valentine’s Day, is around the corner and we wanted to bring you all the options for your favourite person. From breakfasts to chocolate, we’ve got it all! Starting with our Vegan Tofu Benedict.
Breakfast in bed is one of the most romantic acts you can do. Nothing better than being woken to the smell of food, especially when it’s vegan. We’re here to help out all you love birds. If you and your partner are vegan or perhaps you have a vegan partner and want to surprise them with your vegan cooking skills, this is the recipe to do it.
When you think about a delicious and romantic breakfast, what do you think of? For us it’s Eggs Benedict. Obviously as vegans we can’t have many of the ingredients in a traditional Eggs Benedict, however with a few changes we made an amazing Vegan Tofu Benedict that is full of delicious egg and butter flavour. All from plant sources! You still get that perfect vibrant yellow colour of hollandaise, with the perfect buttery, eggy taste all without the use of animals. Talk about perfection.
We promise that if you make this recipe, your loved ones will be totally amazed that it is vegan and at your skill. Plus, bonus points, it is actually super easy to make. If you don’t like something that we have added to our Vegan Tofu Benedict the best part is that you can sub it for something else. We have seen Benedicts done with sauteed spinach, tomatoes, vegan bacon, asparagus, kale or really anything that you think would taste delicious.
Vegan Eggs Benedict
- 1 English muffin toasted
- 6 slices vegan ham Yves
- 2 slices tomatoes large
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 block firm tofu
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp black salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp black salt
- pinch white pepper
- pinch cayenne
- Slice your tofu in half to make two thinner rectangles. Then using a circle cookie cutter, cut your tofu into rounds so that it has a pretty look.
- Add all your tofu egg marinade ingredients to a shallow dish including: soy sauce, water, black salt and white pepper. Add you tofu rounds to the marinade and let sit for about 10-15 minutes. You can flip half way through to ensure the coverage is even.
- To make your hollandaise add your vegan butter to a small sauce pan and allow that to melt over medium. Once melted add your flour and mix until there are no clumps. Add your non-dairy milk, turmeric, black salt, white pepper and cayenne. Mix it consistently for about 15 minutes until it thickens then remove it from the heat. Allow to rest to thicken a bit more.
- Once the tofu is done in the marinade, fry it and the vegan ham on medium heat until each side is golden brown.
- Now you assemble by placing three slices of your vegan ham on each of the english muffin halves, then a half of your sliced avocado, slice of tomato, the vegan egg round and drowned it in hollandaise sauce.