Strawberry Shortcake Waffles
DISCLAIMER: This blog post contains Amazon affiliate links. The items cost the same to you, but if purchased through our link we receive a portion of the sale. One way we are able to fund TMG by sharing products we love.
Is there something more summery than strawberries? We think not. Something about this amazing berry just screams summer. I know we say this about a lot of ingredients but strawberries are the real deal. They’re juicy and sweet and absolutely delicious. Our Strawberry Shortcake Waffles showcase everything amazing about strawberries.
This recipe was inspired by the classic strawberry shortcake, a popular dessert for summer, that we gave our TMG twist to. That twist is obviously waffles, because if you didn’t know by now we LOVE waffles (see our Gingerbread Waffles or Loaded Potato Waffles). We also love strawberry shortcake, but combining the two makes both of them incredibly better. It just makes sense, I mean look at them? Aren’t they the prettiest waffles you’ve ever seen?
One of our favourite things about waffles – and our Strawberry Shortcake Waffles in particular – is that they are perfect for breakfast or dessert. You know what that means, right? You can both start and end your day with waffles. Talk about a waffle dream come true.
I bought my waffle maker about a year ago on a whim because there was a sale going on. I honestly didn’t know how much I would use it or if I would use it at all. Boy am I glad I made that purchase. Not only do I make waffles fairly regularly, but I’ve been able to make now three amazing waffles recipes for you.
Delicious fluffy vegan waffles topped with fresh strawberries, whipped cream, and complete with a delicious strawberry maple syrup. Seriously this is the way to end summer – with a very delicious bang. Customize this recipe with the addition of other berries and fruit or adding some cacao powder to your waffle batter – Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake Waffles anyone? Yes please.
Strawberry Shortcake Waffles
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 almond or soy milk (unsweetened)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 stick vegan butter , cold & roughly chopped
- 1 tub vegan whipped cream
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- Make your flax eggs by combining the ground flaxseed and water. Set aside for about 10 minutes to thicken.
- Make your vegan buttermilk by combining the non-dairy milk with the apple cider vinegar. Set aside for about 10 minutes to curdle.
- Combine the dry ingredients; all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and add the flax eggs, vegan buttermilk, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Whisk until you see no more dry flour - having some chunks is good! Add in the chopped butter and with the whisk mash the butter into the batter - you still want chunks of butter.
- Bake your waffles in a preheated waffle iron for about 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Because there is a lot of butter in this recipe, expect some butter to spew out the waffle iron - put something underneath to prevent a mess.
- While your waffles cook prepare the toppings. Set aside about five large strawberries from the pint and slice the rest of them. The ones you set aside go into a blender until smooth. Add maple syrup to the blended strawberries and mix.
- Construct starting with a waffle, then topped with whipped cream, strawberries, and the strawberry maple syrup.
How to make Strawberry Shortcake Waffles