Vegan Breakfast Burrito
We get asked for a lot of different recipes almost daily, but one suggestion we get more than any other is vegan meal prep. Full disclaimer, I suck at meal prep. I have tried time and time again to make a meal prep that I didn’t get sick of after two days. So when people kept asking for this type of video, we kept pushing it back – knowing we couldn’t do it well enough. Instead of continuing to push it off, we decided to start small – breakfast!
I’ve tended to have better luck with breakfast meal prep. A delicious batch of overnight oats or chia seed pudding is something I never get sick of. We have done both these recipes before so we aimed for something different – breakfast burritos.
A good breakfast burrito is a thing of sheer beauty. A delicious mixture of tofu scramble with melt-y vegan cheese, vegan tempeh bacon, and home fries all wrapped in the perfect whole wheat tortilla. Everything delicious about breakfast in a single wrap. Could you ask for any more?
This recipes makes the perfect amount of each component for five packed burritos. One for each work day – which means you don’t have to worry about what you’ll eat for breakfast all week. These can be microwaved from frozen for 3 minutes, flipped halfway through or baked at 350F for 30-40 minutes. Baking them takes longer, but can easily be placed in the oven while you get ready for the day.
We made our home fries in one of our favourite appliances – an air fryer! For this recipe we used the T-Fal Acti-Fry because it has the built in turning paddle. However we also love the Magic Chef XL Air Fryer – which would work just as good! Use code TWOMARKETGIRLS upon checkout for your Magic Chef XL Air Fryer to receive 25% off.
Vegan Breakfast Burritos
- 5 whole wheat tortillas
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 block firm tofu
- 10 dried mushrooms
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup kale , roughly chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp salsa
- 1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- 1 tsp black salt
- 2 large yellow potatoes , diced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- pinch salt & pepper
- 1/2 block tempeh , thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- To begin rehydrate the dried mushrooms by soaking them in the boiling water for about 15 minutes. Do not drain the water as it will be used later in the recipe.
- To make the home fries, dice the potatoes into small cubes and place in a bowl. Add to the potatoes the sesame oil, smoked paprika, and salt and pepper and mix until all incorporated. Add to an air fryer and fry for about 20 minutes (depending on your air fryer model).
- To prep the tempeh bacon add apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, liquid smoke, garlic powder, chili flakes, and maple syrup to a bowl and mix. Add in the sliced tempeh and marinate for about 10 minutes.
- Prep tofu scramble by crumbling the tofu into a small bowl, set aside. Roughly chop the dehydrated mushrooms and kale and set aside. Prepare the spice mix by combining tumeric, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and nutritional yeast in a small bowl. Add dried mushroom liquid until its a smooth paste (about 3-4 tsp).
- To cook the tofu scramble add sesame oil in a cast iron pan and sautee dried mushrooms for a couple minutes until they start to get golden. Add in the crumbled tofu and stir around until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Add in the spice paste and salsa and stir to coat. Sprinkle the vegan cheese on top and cover with lid to melt. Once melted mix in the cheese and add kale, place lid on to steam - you may need to add a couple tsp of mushroom liquid to allow the kale to steam. Once steamed stir in and sprinkle with black salt and mix. Turn off heat and allow to cool.
- To cook the tempeh bacon, place marinated tempeh on a warm frying pan and cook until golden brown on both sides. You can brush with extra marinade throughout the cooking process. Once cooked set aside to cool.
- Construct the burritos starting with a layer of tofu scramble, some salsa, home fries, and topped with slices of tempeh bacon. Roll and wrap each in tin foil. Eat immediately or freeze for cooking later. You can reheat in the microwave for 3 minutes per burrito (flipping halfway) or in the oven preheated to 350F for 30 minutes (flipping halfway through).
How to make Vegan Breakfast Burrito Meal Prep