Maple Glazed Tofu
Thanksgiving can be a tough time for a lot of vegans. It’s a very meat-heavy holiday and a lot of the substitutes aren’t exactly amazing. Don’t get me wrong, I have been known to enjoy a good Tofurkey roast (especially the “ham” one), but they aren’t exactly everyone’s cup of tea. You can always expect some sort of joke about how… unconventional it looks. Jokes aren’t always the best thing, especially if this is your first year as a vegan – it can be really discouraging. Don’t let it be, instead show up with something so good they can’t makes jokes about it. Introducing our Maple Glazed Tofu.
Inspired by a traditional ham roast, these tofu steaks are covered in the perfect mix of mustard, maple syrup, brown sugar, and cloves. Baked to crispy perfection and served on a bed of sauteed brussels sprouts. Dreams are coming true.
Thanksgiving isn’t something without an eye-catching main dish. This Maple Glazed Tofu is exactly what you need, even your non-vegan family members will love it. Enjoy this dish alongside our Crispy Smashed Potatoes and Classic Vegan Stuffing for the ultimate Thanksgiving feast. You’ll have you entire family asking for an all vegan holiday in no time.
Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian followers out there, may your table be filled with delicious vegan food and surrounded by the ones you love. To all our American followers we’ll be back with more Thanksgiving recipes in a few weeks, and to everyone else in the world who doesn’t celebrate Thanksgiving may you also eat delicious food, because you don’t need a holiday for an excuse to eat delicious food.
Maple Glazed Tofu
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 15 brussels sprouts
- 2 cups button mushrooms
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut your tofu bloc into desired size, we quartered it into even squares.
- In a small bowl mix all of the maple glaze ingredients until well incorporated.
- Place your tofu blocks on a lined baking sheet and brush on about 1/3 of the glaze. Bake for about 15 minutes and then flip and re-glaze with another 1/3 of the glaze and bake for another 15 minutes. Finally flip again and glaze with the remaining glaze left and bake for 10 more minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- While the tofu bakes prepare the brussels sprouts. Cut each sprout in half and set aside. Add sesame oil to a cast iron pan and place each sprout cut side down and season with some salt and pepper and cook for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Add the button mushrooms and toss until incorporated and place a lid over them to steam for about 2 minutes. Then add soy sauce, maple syrup, and liquid smoke and toss. Put the lid back on a cook for about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve family style and enjoy!
How to make Vegan Maple Glazed Tofu