Sweet Potato Latke Benedict
The holidays bring joy, but they also bring stress. From holiday shopping to family dinners to decorating – all this takes time, a lot of time. Today we’re encouraging you to take a break from all this. As much as I (Kat) loves the holiday season, part of it also means sitting back, relaxing, and admiring all your hard work. What better way to do that than over a delicious vegan brunch? Our Sweet Potato Latke Benedict is indulgent and everything you need for a stress-free morning.
Crispy fried, then baked sweet potato latke topped with a delicious chickpea scramble and doused in a the most decadent vegan hollandaise. Don’t be fooled this isn’t like other vegan hollandaise made healthier – this is real hollandaise without animal products, in all it’s fatty glory. If you’re looking for health, this is not the recipe for you.
If you’re looking for comfort in the form of a breakfast – this is the recipe for you. Paired with a cup of tea and great company you are in for a magical time.
Sweet Potato Latke Benedict
Sweet Potato Latke
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup green onions , chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan mozzarella shreds
- salt & pepper , to taste
- 2 flax eggs
- oil , for frying
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/4 white onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 field roast apple sage sausage , sliced
- 1/2 tsp black salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- pinch salt & pepper
- 3 tbsp chickpea flour
- 2 batches vegan hollandaise
- 2 cups kale , chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Peel the sweet potatoes, and grate them using a cheese grater. Add the shreds to a sieve and squeeze to drain as much liquid from them as possible.
- Add the potato shreds to a large bowl along with green onions, vegan cheese shreds, salt, pepper and flax eggs. Mix until all combined.
- On a well oiled pan on medium heat, pan fry the latkes until golden a crispy on either side. This should take about 2-3 minutes per side. Once cooked place on a wire rack for excess oil to drain.
- Once pan fried - place on a lined baking sheet and put in the oven while you prepare everything else.
- Add the chickpeas to a food processor and pulse until just chopped. You still want some chunks in the there. Place those in a bowl.
- Add the white onion and garlic clove to the food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Add those to the chopped chickpeas, along with the rest of the chickpea scramble ingredients.
- Pan fry the chickpea scramble in the same pan used for the latkes. Cook for about 15 minutes, mixing occasionally.
- Steam the chopped kale using your preferred method and set aside.
- Make two batches of our vegan hollandaise sauce.
- Put it all together starting with the latke, top with chickpea scramble, steamed kale, fresh tomatoes, and drizzled with hollandaise.
How to make Sweet Potato Latke Benedict