Would it be the holidays without gingerbread? If you ask Devin, she’d say hell no. Seriously, it’s her favourite flavour ever. It’s without a doubt our favourite flavour of the season. Can there ever be enough gingerbread in the world? We think not. That’s why we went head to head in a gingerbread battle that not only produce these amazing Gingerbread Biscotti, but also the perfect Gingerbread Pizza.
Biscotti, a double-baked cookie that’s crunchy and perfect for afternoon tea. This Gingerbread Biscotti is full of warm spices that will fill your entire house with the perfect festive aroma. Packed full of delicious ginger and molasses, every bite is bursting with the perfect gingerbread flavour.
Toss all your ingredients into a large mixing bowl and get your hands dirty. Yep, this recipe is the ultimate one bowl recipe, you don’t even have to use utensils. Plus there’s something so fun about getting your hands dirty in the kitchen and making something with your muscle power from start to finish – no fancy equipment needed or recommended here.
Paired with a delicious cup of tea or coffee – biscotti are the ideal cookie for dessert. All you need is one or two and your set. We also love how big of a batch they make, perfect for large families.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp all spice
- pinch black pepper & salt
- pinch cloves
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water)
- 3 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Prepare the flax eggs by combining ground flax and water. Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes.
- To a large bowl add the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, all spice, salt, pepper, and cloves. Whisk until combined.
- Add the vegan butter in chunks to the flour mixture, along with the flax eggs and molasses. Using your hands mix the dough until it just comes together - it will take a while, but hang in there you'll get it. It will be a crumbly dough, that's okay.
- On a lined baking sheet press the dough into a long log about 3/4" thick and 6" wide. This size can change depending on how big you want your biscotti to be. Typically I divide the dough into two logs.
- Bake for about 40 minutes. Once baked remove from the oven and cool for about 10 minutes. Change the oven temperature to 275F. Once the biscotti have cooled, slice into cookies about 3/4" thick. Place on their sides back on the baking sheet and bake for about 5-7 minutes on each side. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- To make icing: Combine icing sugar and non-dairy milk until smooth. Drizzle over cooled biscotti.
How to Make Vegan Gingerbread Biscotti