Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Icing
It’s Devin’s birthday! Well not today but in a couple days and we’re celebrating the only way we know how, with chocolate! Originally Kat wanted to surprise Dev with a recipe, well that didn’t work. Instead she asked Dev what she wanted to have for her birthday and she responded with Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Icing. Of course Kat obliged.
If you didn’t know Kat is on a little bit of a “healthy eating” kick at the moment – we know, you never thought you’d hear that sentence, but it’s true. Now we know what you’re thinking; ‘wait how can these chocolate cupcakes be healthy!?’ Well they’re not. They are by no means healthy, but with some simple additions they are definitely healthier than most Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Icing.
We know, why would you ever want to make chocolate cupcakes healthier? The only way we were gonna release this recipe was if that we could make it healthier while still tasting just as decadent and delicious. And well with the fact the recipe is right here that must mean it worked! Yay us.
So what’s healthy about these things?
Well instead of using butter we opted for a nut butter that is full of healthy fats. The best part is you can use whatever nut butter your little heart desires. Allergic to nuts? Try a seed butter or heck forget health and go for regular vegan butter. The icing is the biggest change on these babies. We’ve never been fans of icing, it’s sugary and often tasteless. Instead we wanted to find a way to decrease the sugar in the icing and well it’s time to welcome back those healthy fats because coconut cream to the rescue. We had great experience with coconut cream in our Chocolate Tart recipe that we thought it would be a great substitute to add volume, decadence and creaminess. We were right.
Check out the full recipe and video below.
Vegan Chocolate Cupcake with Chocolate Icing
- 3/4 cup (100 g) all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (42 g) cacao powder 1/3 cup
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp or 12 g ground flax + 6 tbsp or 90 mL water)
- 1/2 cup (99 g) white sugar
- 1/2 cup (99 g) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (80 g) almond butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (120 mL) buttermilk (all plant-based milk with about 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar)
Low Sugar Chocolate Icing
- 1 can coconut cream chilled overnight
- 1/4 cup (30 g) icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup (50 g) cacao powder
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a bowl combine the flour, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until incorporated.
- In another bowl combine both sugars, almond butter and vanilla extract. Cream together. Add the buttermilk and flax eggs and mix until combined.
- Slowly add dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix until just combined.
- Line a cupcake tin with liners and using an ice cream scoop the batter into each cupcake. This helps keep the cupcakes even.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until you lightly press the cupcake with your finger and it bounces back. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- To make the icing: In a stand mixer add coconut cream, icing sugar and cacao powder. Whisk until fluffy. Add vanilla and mix until combined. Store in fridge until ready to use. Do NOT ice your cupcakes while they are still work. It will melt and slide off.
How to make Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Icing