Funfetti Cinnamon Rolls
Soft, pillow-y, sweet and super decadent. These Funfetti Cinnamon Rolls are made for a celebration.
It’s no secret around here, we LOVE cinnamon rolls. To date this marks our third cinnamon roll recipe in under 3 years of TMG. From the classic rolls to pumpkin spice cinnamon rolls and today, Funfetti Cinnamon Rolls. Cinnamon rolls are designed to be something for a celebration. Yes, there is a lot of work that goes into them but when it’s for something special it is so worth it.
Just in time for Mother’s Day we thought we’d do something extra special for our moms; Funfetti Cinnamon Buns. Just like the classics, everyone will be impressed – but this time you’ll also get the familiar celebratory flavour of birthday cake.
It’s recommended making this recipe fresh the day of, whether you wake up early or make them for dessert it’s well worth the time. It’s not recommend to make the dough the night before and rise in the fridge. Yes you can do this, but you will get a different taste and texture; from our experience it’s not our favourite. Once baked and fluffy don’t forget to top with sprinkles.
Check out the full recipe and video below.
Funfetti Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 tbsp quick rise yeast
- 1 cup warm water 40 - 50 degrees
- 2 1/3 cups (300 g) all purpose flour
- 2 1/3 cups (300 g) funfetti cake mix
- 1/3 cup (55 g) melted butter
- 1/4 cup (55 g) white sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 flax eggs 2 tbsp (12 g) flax + 6 tbsp (90 mL) water
- 1 tsp almond extract
Cinnamon Sugar Spread
- 1/2 cup (120 g) melted butter
- 2 tbsp (14 g) cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (67 g) brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (188 g) icing sugar
- 1/2 cup (112 g) vegan cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp (18 g) funfetti cake mix
- vegan sprinkles optional
- Combine yeast, warm milk and sugar in a bowl and whisk. Set aside for 10-15 minutes to rise.
- In a stand mixer with the dough hook combine funfetti cake mix, flour and salt. Once incorporated add yeast mixture, butter, almond extract and flax eggs. Mix until a dough forms.
- Lightly oil a bowl and place dough in. Cover with clear wrap and a towel and set in the oven (turned off) for 60 - 90 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Combine the cinnamon sugar spread ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Once the dough has risen, roll out on a well floured surface. This dough is fairly sticky so you want to make sure you're continually adding flour as needed. Roll the dough into a long rectangle. Brush with half the cinnamon sugar spread and roll into one long cinnamon bun, so that it makes the classic cinnamon bun swirl. Using a very sharp knife cut your cinnamon buns into the desired thickness. We aim for about 1 inch thick as they will continue to rise.
- Pour the remainder of the cinnamon sugar spread into the bottom of your baking pan. Place each roll into the pan about 1/2 inch apart. Cover with clear wrap and a towel one more time and let rise another 30 - 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake risen cinnamon rolls for 30 - 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the buns bake combine all the ingredients for the icing in a stand mixer or bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Remove the buns from the oven and allow to cool about 5-10 minutes before icing. Spread icing generously oven buns and add sprinkles. Best served warm but these should last about 3 days at room temperature as long as they are properly covered.
How to make Vegan Funfetti Cinnamon Rolls