Vegan Party Appetizers
It’s a vegan party appetizers show down: Puff Pastry Mushroom Pizzas vs. Spinach and Feta Pockets
It’s that time of year, appetizer season!!! Appetizers are truly the best food group – no question about it. You don’t need any cutlery and you can have a little bit of everything. It’s how every meal should be served. It’s the same reason we love charcuterie boards and platters. We love food and want to enjoy all the delicious flavours there are to offer. In honour of our favourite food group, we went head-to-head to make a delicious plant-based appetizer for New Year’s Eve.
But first, let’s break down what makes a delicious vegan party appetizer:
- Hand held – If you can’t eat it with one hand, it’s not a party appetizer.
- Small size – If you’re half full after eating one appetizer you’re making them wrong.
- Sturdy – If it’s floppy and hard to hold, it’s a no-go for a party appetizer unless you want messy floors.
If these recipes tell us anything, it’s that we both LOVE pastry and cheese. Kat made flaky Puff Pastry Mushroom Pizzas and Dev made Spinach and Feta Pockets. See what we mean? Check out the full recipes and deliciousness below. Plus don’t forget to check out the video and vote for your favourite!
Puff Pastry Mushroom Pizzas
This recipe started with puff pastry – Kat didn’t know what she wanted to make she just knew that she wanted it to involve puff pastry. Afterall, every great appetizer starts with a great dough/pastry. She subbed pizza dough for puff pastry and loaded it with a delicious creamy white sauce and sauteed mushrooms. Topped with an optional spicy mayo for extra flavour.
Puff Pastry Mushroom Pizza
- 1 pkg puff pastry*
- 225 g (1 cup) vegan cream cheese
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) non-dairy milk
- 14 g (1 tbsp) vegan butter
- 20 g (4 cloves) garlic minced
- 30 g (1 whole) shallot diced
- 400 g mixed mushrooms
- 5 g (1/4 cup) parsley chopped
- pinch salt & pepper
Optional: Spicy Sun-dried Tomato Mayo
- vegan sour cream to taste
- spicy sun-dried tomatoes to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F
- To a pan melt butter and cook shallots. 1-2 minutes.
- Add garlic and sautee about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper, and cook until tender. Once cooked remove from heat and add parsley. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan add cheese ingredients and cook until smooth. Set aside.
- Roll out puff pastry and cut into circles using a cookie cutter.
- Spread cheese sauce over puff pastry pizzas and top with mushrooms. Bake on a lined baking sheet for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Optional: Blend vegan sour cream and spicy sun-dried tomatoes together until smooth. If you can't find spicy sun-dried tomatoes you can use regular and your favourite hot sauce or pepper.
- Drizzle with spicy mayo, sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.
Spinach and Feta Pockets
Did you know Pillsbury crescent rolls are vegan!? At least here in Canada that is. So def put that delicious pastry to work with her Spinach and Feta Pockets. Essentially a spanakopita with a twist.
Spinach and Feta Pockets
- 1 batch TMG Tofu Feta*
- 150 g frozen spinach thawed
- 1 pkg Pillsbury crescent rolls
- 5 g (1.5 tbsp) panko bread crumbs
- 10 g (1 tbsp) garlic powder
- 1 g (1/2 tsp) dried parsley
- 3.5 g (1 tsp) onion powder
- 1 g (1/2 tsp) dried oregano
- 28 g (2 tbsp) butter melted
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Make a batch of tofu feta and set aside.
- Combine panko bread crumbs, garlic powder, parsley, onion powder and oregano. Set aside.
- Unroll crescent rolls and add a small amount of spinach and tofu fet a to each on only on half, then fold over the other half to make a triangle. Using a fork seal the edges. Place on a lined baking sheet.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with panko mixture.
- Bake 16 minutes or until golden.
How to make Vegan Party Appetizers: