Vegan Fruity Cereal Cookies
Crispy, chewy Fruity Cereal Cookies perfect for your next weekend baking session. Now all you need is a glass of non-dairy milk.
It’s Devin’s birthday weekend! We can’t be together to celebrate due to physical distancing so we’re making A LOT of cookies inspired by the birthday girl herself. If there’s one thing that Devin loves it’s buffalo sauce, but if there’s another thing it’s Froot Loops.
Are there vegan cereals?
Unfortunately Froot Loops aren’t vegan, as many name-brand cereals are. A lot of cereals actually contain vitamin D which does not come from a vegan source very often. So instead we found an off-brand fruity cereal that doesn’t have vitamin D! In fact many off-brand cereals happen to be vegan.
Using the President’s Choice Fruity O’s we made chewy Fruity Cereal Cookies with the perfect crispy outer shell. Loaded with fruity flavour, these are the cookies of Dev’s dreams.
Can a different cereal be used?
What happens if you can’t find a vegan version of froot loops that you like? We suggest trying other cereals that you do like! We haven’t tried this recipe with a different cereal, but don’t see why it wouldn’t work. If you give it a try, please let us know how it goes! We already know we want to try this with a vegan version of cinnamon toast crunch.
Vegan butter is important.
Due to our new physical distancing circumstances, both Dev and Kat made this recipe using ingredients that had on hand. Dev found hers came out significantly different than how Kat’s came out. The biggest difference between the two was the oven and the vegan butter used.
If you’re going to make this recipe, we highly recommend using Earth Balance Buttery Sticks. It ended with the best result of the two. Additionally each oven is different. If you don’t already have one, we’d highly recommend purchasing an oven thermometer so you can ensure your oven is at the correct temperature.
Fruity Cereal Cookies
- 200 g (1 2/3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 100 g (2/3 cup + 2 tbsp) vegan fruity cereal ground into a dust
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 170 g (3/4 cup) vegan butter Earth Balance
- 200 g (1 cup) white sugar
- 100 g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp + 6 tbsp cold water)
- 65 g (2/3 cup) vegan fruity cereal whole
- 25 g (1/4 cup + 1 tbsp) vegan fruity cereal ground into a dust
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Make flax eggs and set aside.
- Process necessary fruity cereal into a dust if you haven't already. Set aside.
- To a bowl add all the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Set aside.
- To a stand mixer add vegan butter and both sugars. Beat until creamy and fluffy - about 5 to 8 minutes.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add in the flax eggs and vanilla extract until just incorporated. With the mixer still on low, slowly add in the mixed dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Add in whole fruity cereal and mix until just mixed in.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon. scoop the dough and roll into balls. Roll each cookie dough ball into the ground fruity cereal add-ins until their all coated in a thin layer of cereal dust. Place on a lined baking sheet about 2" apart. Optionally top with addition fruity cereal pieces.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes (we did 13) or until golden. Allow to cool on baking sheet about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Repeat until all cookies are baked.