Vegan Carrot Cake
Neither of us are cake people per say. Don’t get us wrong, we’d never turn down a slice of cake, but would often pick something else if had the choice (except for chocolate cake of course, chocolate cake is life). However when it comes to carrot cake, this is one we can both agree on. Carrot cake has something about it that we just love. Maybe it’s that it isn’t as sweet as most other cakes or maybe it’s that it makes us feel better knowing we are kinda eating some vegetables. Who knows, but we love it.
This carrot cake is super easy to make and we promise everyone will love it. It’s hearty and delicious, while being rich and paired with the vegan cream cheese icing, creamy. The addition of cinnamon in the cake almost makes this carrot cake feel like you are eating both a carrot cake and a spiced cake. Once you top it with the perfectly sweet and creamy vegan cream cheese icing, this carrot cake is pure perfection.
The sprinkle of crushed walnuts on top adds the perfect amount of crunch and we highly recommend that you don’t skip that step. Unless of course you’re allergic, then we highly recommend that you skip that step.
You will love this cake is you are looking for a dessert that is not too sweet but also rich and moist. It is the perfect dessert for Easter (which is coming up soon). Why? Well Easter has the Easter Bunny and what do bunnies eat? Carrots, obviously. I know, were dorks. In actuality carrot cake is a fairly traditional dessert for Easter in Kat’s family. We suggest you give it a try.
Vegan Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
Serves: 8×8 pan
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch ginger powder
- pinch cloves
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pkg vegan cream cheese
- 1 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350F
- In a bowl you are going to combine all of the dry ingredients including; flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger powder and cloves and mix. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer add your wet ingredients including; coconut oil and brown sugar. Mix that until creamy consistency then add non-dairy milk, vanilla extract and your flax egg. Mix until you incorporated.
- Slowly add your dry ingredients to your wet and mix until you get a sticky cake-like batter.
- Grease an 8×8 baking pan thoroughly. Then pour your batter into your pan and bake for about 30 min or until you can stick a toothpick in the centre of the cake and it comes out clean.
- While your cake bakes you can prepare your icing by combining your cream cheese and non-dairy milk in a stand mixer and mix until creamy. Then you want to slowly add in your icing sugar. You may need slightly less or more than what we stated depending on the consistency. Stop adding icing sugar when you get a creamy yet pretty stiff consistency. You do not want the icing to be dripping off the sides. Finally add in your vanilla and mix. Set aside.
- Once the cake is baked allow it to completely cool before icing.
- Ice the top of your cake and then add whatever topings you want. We added crushed walnuts to ours.