Vegan Oreo Donuts
When we found out that Oreo cookies were vegan, honestly we couldn’t believe it. Once we double checked our source we were in complete shock, but the best kind of shock. We both love Oreo cookies, they are the perfect guilty pleasure. They are the perfect weekend movie night treat, plus you can bake with them, so not only can you enjoy them as-is but you can make so many amazing desserts with them. Enter Vegan Oreo Donuts.
I know, I know, we put everyone’s two favourite things into one; Oreo cookies and donuts. Normally we aren’t big fans of baked donuts, however these donuts are perfectly soft and moist, yet has the right amount of density to almost create a brownie texture. By separating the cookies from cream, these donuts are like deconstructed Oreo cookies, but better. Plus adding an extra bit of cookie crumbs atop the iced donuts is like the cherry on top.
These donuts are surprisingly easy to make, which essentially makes them the perfect dessert. The only downside is these things can’t be savoured. Once you take a bite it will be almost impossible to stop eating them until they are gone. They are such a crowd-pleasure, be sure to double the amount you think you need. Seriously, we ate like three each in one sitting.
If you try this recipe be sure to let us know in the comments below. This recipe was part of a challenge between Kat and Dev. Be sure to check out Dev’s Oreo Cookie Sliders to get even more Oreo goodness. Plus check out the YouTube video to be able to vote for who you think is the winner.
Vegan Oreo Donuts
- 13 double stuffed Oreos*
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk + 2 tsp, divided
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Separate the Oreo cream from the cookies into two separate bowls. Process the cookies into a fine powder.
- To a large bowl combine your all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1/3 cup of your oreo cookie powder. Mix until all incorporated.
- To a small bowl add 3/4 cup of non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar and mix. Add your ground flax, water, melted butter and vanilla extract and mix. Set aside to thicken for about 10 minutes.
- Create a well in the centre of your dry ingredients and add your wet into the well. Using a spatula fold your wet into your dry until you get a sticky dough.
- Grease a donut pan and set aside.
- Using the ziploc piping bag technique, add all your batter to a ziploc bag and cut off one of the corners to create a piping bag. Pipe your batter into each of your donut moulds.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- While your donuts baking you can make your icing. To do so melt your separated Oreo cream in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Add 2 tsp of non-dairy milk and icing sugar and mix until creamy.
- All the donuts to cool slightly, then drizzle your icing all over the top and sprinkle with your leftover Oreo cookie dust.