Crispy, Air-Fried Buffalo Pickle Bites – the perfect snack for your solo physical distancing “game day”… or movie night.
Okay, real talk for a second. We made this recipe because April is usually the time when a bunch of major sports start their playoff seasons. Well you all know how that turned out, as I write this on day 10 of not leaving my house. Physical (or social) distancing has thrown a wrench in a lot of peoples lives, our content schedule included. However after a chat about how we wanted to go about the next few months, we decided as long as we were still able to we were gonna try our best to get content to you guys.
We love making content, so selfishly we didn’t want to stop. But we also understand that bringing some lighthearted content filled with lots of terrible jokes and laughs might be just the thing everyone needs right now. So our content will resume, it just may look a little different than it usually does. However as this is a recipe we shot from before the stay-at-home measures were put in place, this one is just as our normal content would be. But if you want to see what our physical distancing content might be like, check out this week’s Whatever Wednesday where we baked together over a Zoom call…
Now to the recipe. These Air-Fried Buffalo Pickle Bites are truly everything you didn’t know you needed in your life! Crispy buffalo coating over a crunchy but juicy pickle – made with minimal ingredients and perfect for adding to bowls or your next movie night.
How to make Vegan Crispy Air-Fried Buffalo Pickle Bites…
The key to a good crispy pickle is in the layers of dredge, batter, panko breading and FLAVOURS. Choosing your key flavours and bring them to every single layer. For us that was buffalo sauce and dill. We brought it through in each layer creating deeper and deeper flavour in every step.
This recipe can be messy, but it can be avoided. With proper prep and organization this can be avoided. Set up a dredging station where you can coat the pickles one by one and then place it right into the air fryer.
Can you make substitutions?
Don’t own an air fryer? These can also be pan or deep fried! Get perfectly crispy buffalo pickles without the air fryer. Optionally you could also bake them, however we have yet to try this method so we can’t be sure that it would yield a similar result.
Can’t find vegan buffalo sauce? Make your own! Find an cayenne based hot sauce and combine it with a little melted vegan butter to make your very own DIY vegan buffalo sauce.
Air-Fried Buffalo Pickle Bites
- 1 16-ounce jar dill pickles
- 60 g (1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp dried dill, , divided
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 240 mL (1 cup) vegan buttermilk, (225mL non-dairy milk + 15mL apple cider vinegar)
- 180 mL (3/4 cup) franks buffalo sauce, , divided
- 1 1/2 cups panko
- pinch salt
- 75 g (1/3 cup) vegan mayonnaise
- 5 mL (1 tsp) apple cider vinegar
- 5 mL (1 tsp) lemon juice
- 3 g (1/2 tsp) dijon mustard
- 10 g (2 tsp) horseradish
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chopped dill
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- Drain pickles and pat dry. Slice into 1/2" rounds. Pat dry with a kitchen towel or paper towel. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine all-purpose flour, 1 tbsp dried dill and garlic powder. Set aside. In another bowl combine vegan buttermilk and 60mL of the franks buffalo sauce. Set aside. Finally in another bowl combine panko, salt and remaining dill. Set aside.
- One pickle at a time coat in flour mixture, then dip in vegan buttermilk mixture and finally toss in panko. Place in air fryer and repeat until all pickles are prepared. Depending on your air fryer you may need to do this in multiple batches. Fry at 400F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat until all pickles are fried.
- While the pickles fry prepare the dipping sauce by combining all the dip ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Toss fried pickles in remaining buffalo sauce and serve alongside dip.