If you are vegetarian or vegan you are probably very familiar with falafel. A Middle Eastern dish of spiced mashed chickpeas deep-fried or baked, usually eaten with pita bread and tahini. Often it can be your only veg-friendly option at a restaurant or out when you are looking for a quick bite. Falafel is a vegan or vegetarians best friend.
With summer on the way, that means burgers, hot dogs and sliders are going to be front and center. We do not have a problem with that. All three can be so amazing and versatile. We took our favourite veg snack, falafel, and slider-ified it. That’s a word right? We’re going with it.
These chickpea falafel sliders are so crispy and flavorful, expect them to disappear within seconds. You’ll even find the meat eaters are gobbling them down. Topped with a delicious tahini sauce, crispy kale, and juicy tomatoes.
Who else is ready for summer to arrive? We understand if you can’t wait, that’s why we made these delicious sliders to hold you over until then. What is your favourite spring or summer slider? Let us know in the comments below.
Bonus points, these patties are perfect for a weekly meal prep. Make a big batch at the beginning of the week and they will last you all work week. Perfect on top of salads, tacos, wraps, sandwiches, and so much more.
AIR-FRIED FALAFEL SLIDERSPrint
- 1/4 large white onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 pinch cardamom
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp aquafaba
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 6 pita bread or naan
- 2 cups kale, chopped for topping
- 2 tomatoes, sliced for topping
- Prep all your ingredients by roughly chopping your onion, parsley, cilantro, and peeling your garlic.
- Add your onion, parsley, cilantro, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, cardamom, coriander, cayenne pepper, and aquafaba to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add your chickpeas and chickpea flour and blend until it is one consistent texture. You do not want too many chucks in your falafel patty.
- Form your falafel into whatever shape you want, for this recipe you want them in little disks. Place on a floured surface and repeat until all patties are formed.
- To Air-Fry: Place your patties in your air fryer, with a little bit of oil and fry for about 20 minutes, 10 minutes on either side. You want them nice and golden brown.
- To Bake: We first pan fried these in a cast iron pan for about five minutes on either side. Then you want to bake them in an oven preheated to 400F.
- Add all your ingredients to a bowl and mix until combined.
- To construct our sliders you are going to want to cut your pita or naan into small circles about the size of your sliders. A cookie cutter would work well for this.
- Slightly toast your pita in a hot pan for about 5 minutes or until nice and toasty.
- Top your bun with some kale, tomato, falafel patty, a generous drizzle of tahini sauce, and optional fresh herbs.