We LOVE waffles. Savoury or sweet. They’re perfectly crispy, fluffy and capture any sauce you pour on them with the perfect little cups. This Bacon Jalapeño Waffle with Cheesy Hollandaise is no exception.
Waffles are one of those meals that we don’t have often. When we do it’s generally a special occasion and calls for celebration. Whether its Gingerbread Waffles, Strawberry Shortcake Waffles or a Savoury Potato Waffle, there is always a time and place to have a good waffle in your life. Mother’s Day is no exception. Moms do pretty much everything for you and deserve everything you can in return. Treat mom to a delicious meal – fair warning this recipe has a kick to it. If your mom isn’t a fan of spice we’ve got a bunch of other amazing brunch and breakfast options to choose from.
Starting with our classic waffle recipe, we made some tweaks to make it a bit more savoury. Using our Belguim Waffle Maker, this recipe makes about four hearty waffles that will be the perfect base for your next big brunch. With the addition of vegan bacon, jalapeno and cheese, the waffle offers the perfect mix of textures and flavours. Topped with our hollandaise sauce made cheesy, this brunch is made for celebrating.
Check out the full recipe and video below.
Bacon Jalapeño Waffles with Cheesy HollandaisePrint
Bacon Jalapeno Waffles
- 2 flax eggs, (2 tbsp (14 g) ground flax + 6 tbsp (90mL) water)
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) almond or soy milk, unsweetened (combined with 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar to make buttermilk)
- 2 cups (240 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (14 g) baking powder
- 1/2 cup (38 g) vegan butter, cold & roughly chopped
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
- 3/4 cup (90 g) vegan cheddar shreds
- 1 (20 g) jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 8 slices (82 g) Yves Veggie Ham, or other bacon substitute
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp (12 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (19 g) vegan butter
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp black salt
- pinch white pepper
- pinch cayenne
- 1/4 cup (30 g) vegan cheddar shreds
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- To make the waffles; combine flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Add in chopped butter, flax eggs, vegan buttermilk and choice of bacon, jalapenos and shredded cheese. Mix until combined.
- Cook according to your waffle iron.
- To make the hollandaise; in a small pot over medium heat combine butter and flour to make roux. Add in flour, spices, cheese and liquid smoke until creamy and smooth.
- Serve by drizzling sauce over the waffles and topping with extra filling ingredients for texture.