Crunchy, chewy and the perfect balance of salt and sweet. Cherry Pistachio Biscotti has been Kat’s go-t0 holiday treat since she was a kid!
The Christmas season is a big deal in Kat’s house. At least for Kat it is. Something about the month of December just instantly puts her in a great mood. Between holiday music, lights and delicious food – what’s not to love?
Traditions were never big thing though. Menus would consistently be changed, morning routines weren’t set in stone and time of day was pretty flexible. However, every Christmas there was at least one thing that was certain. We’re making cookies and we’remaking a lot of them. Every year Kat and her mom would whip up endless amounts cookies. There had to be enough for gifts, ourselves and to freeze for post-holiday enjoyment. At times you could find our freezer half full of cookies.
Of all the cookies Kat’s family made over the years, these Cherry Pistchio Biscotti are her favourite. This year Kat decided it was time to veganize them.
The perfect cookie for any holiday celebration. Each batch makes two logs of cookies which is about 24 cookies, depending on how you cut them. When it’s the holiday season no one has time for small batch cookies. You have to be efficient to get all your holiday baking done. They take longer to make than the average cookie, but trust us when we say it’s 100% worth it.
Pro tip: Cherry Pistachio Biscotti is freeze-able at every stage. Freeze the dough, after the first bake or after the second. Just freeze and you have biscotti forever! FOREVER! That’s our dream come true.
PISTACHIO CHERRY BISCOTTI
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, , softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 flax eggs, (2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup pistachios, , shelled and chopped
- 1 cup maraschino cherries, , patted dry
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Using your hands, mix the flour, baking soda, butter, sugar, flax eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract, and pistachios. Mix until all the ingredients are incorporated into a soft dough. Add more water in small amounts if needed.
- Add the cherries to your dough and mix with hands until they are evenly distributed throughout the dough. It is tough and may take a while, but you will get there!
- Divide the dough in half and form two logs approximately 13 inches long, 2 inches wide and 1 inch thick. Place logs on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes and remove. Let cool for about 10 minutes. Once cool, slice into 1 inch thick strips.
- Change oven temperature to 250F.
- Place all the cut cookies back on the baking sheet on their sides. Bake for about 7 minutes on wither side, for a total of 14 minutes. If you want them harder and crunchier, bake them a couple extra minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!
How to make Cherry Pistachio Biscotti