Craving chocolate? Try our Chocolate Covered Watermelon cubes for a deliciously, refreshing dessert idea. These simple summer treats are the perfect dessert on a hot summer day.
Sometimes on a hot day you just need something that’s sweet, simple and refreshing. These Chocolate Covered Watermelon bites are a delicious way to cool down on a warm day. This 3 ingredient dessert idea is just another way to enjoy watermelon all summer long.
Top tips for making Chocolate Covered Watermelon:
- Cut into even 1-inch cubes. To make sure the watermelon all freezes at the same time, cut into even pieces. Plus make sure the cubes are big enough to be able to hold them to dip in chocolate.
- Freeze on a lined baking sheet. To freeze fruit without it sticking together, place on a lined baking sheet with space between each piece until completely frozen.
- Dip into chocolate when frozen. When the watermelon is completely frozen, dip into melted chocolate. Because the watermelon is frozen the chocolate will solidify fairly quickly.
- Move quickly through the steps. Because were working with a recipe that’s partly frozen and sets quickly, you’ll need to move quickly. We want to avoid the watermelon from thawing too much so you may want to do the dipping in batches. Additionally the chocolate sets quickly, so make sure you’re dipping in chocolate and sprinkling with sea salt right away.
- Store in an air-tight container. To keep at peak flavour and freshness, store in an air-tight container in the fridge.
Watermelon Juice with Mint FAQ:
How do you choose the best watermelon?
We look for a couple key features when choosing a watermelon. Firstly the weight – watermelon should be fairly heavy in weight for its size. The heavier it is the more juice it has. Secondly, we look for a large yellow spot. Watermelons develop a field spot on the bottom when growing. When it’s a creamy yellow you know its ripe!
How do you store frozen watermelon?
Freeze on a single layer on the lined baking sheet. Once fully frozen, store in an air-tight container to avoid freezer burn.
How long do frozen Chocolate Covered Watermelon cubes last?
These are best enjoyed within 7 days of freezing. To elongate their freezer life be sure you’re storing them in as air tight a container as you can.
Chocolate Watermelon Cubes
- 700 g (¼ whole) watermelon, diced into 1" cubes
- 150 g chopped chocolate
- kosher salt, for sprinkling
- On a lined baking sheet place watermelon cubes with spaces in between each piece. Place in the freezer until completely frozen.
- Melt chocolate over a double-boiler and keep warm. Remove the watermelon cubes from the freezer and one-by-one dunk the watermelon in a little bit of chocolate and place back on baking sheet. Sprinkle with some salt quicker as the chocolate will harden fast. Repeat for all watermelon.
- If eating now, allow to thaw about 15 minutes and serve. If serving later, place back in the freezer in a sealed container until you are ready to serve.
Pin it for later: