It’s almost the New Year! It still feels like the first month of starting this adventure, and that was back in 2016. This has been a beautifully crazy year for us at TMG. Thank you so much to everyone that’s made this year the best yet. We’ve felt so much love and support over the last 12 months.
This week has been all about New Year’s Eve and saying goodbye to 2017. So far there’s been three drinks and three appetizers perfect for NYE celebrations. We haven’t given you a morning after meal yet. After a night of, we assume drinking, you want something satisfying and easy to make however you also want something that is going to start your year off right. Enter french toast.
Is there anything better than french toast in the morning? Probably not, plus it is the absolute perfect way to start out 2018. I love making french toast for people, because no one thinks you can do it without eggs, were here to prove them wrong. This recipe is perfectly light and delicious and tastes just like it’s eggy buddy, if not better. The addition of the different citrus juices into the batter make this the perfect start to a day. You don’t even need a glass of orange juice with it because well it’s in there already. Plus you don’t need all that sugar and lack of fiber to start out a year, go for an orange smoothie instead.
This recipe is probably not like a lot of other vegan french toast recipes out there. We wanted to keep it simple and delicious, letting the few basic flavours to show off their stuff a little bit. We chose to top ours with simple Canadian maple syrup (because obviously Canadian maple syrup is the best, anything else doesn’t deserve to be bought), however the simplicity of this recipe is perfect for additional toppings. Add some delicious vegan jam or whipped cream or maybe a chocolate drizzle? Sounds like the perfect morning. We’d probably just do ALL the toppings.
Be sure to take a look at the video below for a visual step-by-step guide on how to make these beauties! Our videos make following the recipe even easier, because you don’t really have to read, haha.
Vegan Citrus French ToastPrint
- 8 slices of crusty bread, 3/4" thick (day old is best)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- In a shallow bowl combine your almond milk, citrus juices and zests, maple syrup cinnamon, nutmeg and whole wheat flour. Whisk until everything is combined.
- Slice your bread to desired thickness, we find 3/4" is best.
- Add your vegan butter to a pan on low to medium heat until melted. Dip each side of bread into the mix for about 2-3 seconds each side. Then place onto your pan and cook for about 3 minutes each side. It is very important to not flip it until each side is done cooking.
- Stack high on a plate and drizzle with some maple syrup (Canadian of course, preferably from Quebec) and dust with some icing sugar to serve. (optional)