Cauliflower wings are one of our favourite foods. We each have them at least once a week because they’re the perfect comfort food. You’re still eating vegetables but they’re baked in crispy breading and smothered in barbecue sauce. Is there anything more perfect? Us vegans have it good.
Since posting two different recipes about a year ago, you’ve only been asking for more. This new and improved recipe is for the classics out there looking for a little comfort. The perfect substitution for buffalo wings and dipped in a vegan blue cheese adds even more delicious flavour.
They’re baked making them healthier than the fried version, however they’d also be quite delicious fried or air-fried. Enjoy these delicious classic cauliflower wings as an appetizer for your next hockey watch party. Serve up with some fresh carrot sticks, celery sticks, and vegan ranch dip.
This video is part of a two part video day, because not only did we make you this amazing recipe but we also channeled our inner Sean Evans of Hot Ones and did an awesome Q&A video where we tortured ourselves by eating ridiculously hot cauliflower wings. Yea, we are silly sometimes. You can check out our Q&A here.
Classic Cauliflower Wings
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 cups your favourite bbq sauce
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl combine your flour, milk, water and spices. Whisk until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl add your panko bread crumbs and set aside.
- Chop your cauliflower into bite sized pieces and add them to your batter. Toss until all your pieces are covered in batter.
- Toss each of your coated cauliflower pieces in your panko mixture and layer onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 40-50 hour, flipping half way through. Once done toss in your bbq sauce and place back on your baking sheet.
- Bake for another 10-20 minutes until nice and crispy.
- Serve with some vegan blue cheese dip and enjoy!