Creamy, chunky and oh so delicious. It ain’t no backyard party until our Crowd-Pleasing Guacamole makes an appearance.
Is it even summer if you don’t have guacamole? Guacamole is a simple recipe, but it can easily be overdone. It’s a dish that’s beauty lies in its simplicity. A unique twist is okay, but as soon as you start adding upwards of 8, 9 or 10 ingredients it starts to get a little too much. The simpler the better, let the delicious taste of the avocado really shine.
Guacamole is one of those dips that never gets old. No matter how many times you make it, it will always be the first to disappear at any party (that’s why we always make a double batch).
Why Guacamole is the best summer appetizer ever:
- It comes together in under 5 minutes.
- You only dirty one or two dishes.
- Avocado, duh.
- Jalapeno, duh.
- You get to eat it with tortilla chips.
- It’s both fresh and indulgent.
- You can eat as much as you want of it because health.
This recipe is what we like to call our no-fail guacamole. It only involves a handful of ingredients and no matter who is making it, it will always turn out delicious. It’s the perfect recipe to get that non-culinary included person in your family to make. There are three main components to any good guac; avocado, lime and salt. Anything else is just extra. To make this recipe stand out we included some of our favourite flavour enhances; cilantro, red onion and jalapeno (obvi).
Looking to put your own unique spin on it? Why not try adding roasted garlic, lemon pepper, pickled jalapenos or roasted tomatoes. But remember not to go overboard, just add one or two (max) of these additional ingredients.
We made this recipe using a simple fork and bowl, but it could also be made in a pestle and mortar.
Check out the full recipe and video tutorial below.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 (100 g) red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 (40 g) jalapeno, diced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- pinch salt
- pinch cumin
- To a mini food processor add red onion, cilantro and jalapeno. Pulse until finely chopped.*
- Mash avocados in a bowl until desired consistency. Add chopped mixture and lime. Mash until combined. Season with salt and cumin to taste.