Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you! It’s almost Devin’s birthday and there’s no better way to celebrate than with a Classic Vegan Birthday Cake. You know those birthday cakes you always had as a kid? We sought to make a cake that reminded you instantly of your childhood. Get ready to do some reminiscing.
Cake seems to be one of those universally like baked goods. We’ve never met someone who didn’t like cake, especially when it’s a good old fashioned vanilla birthday cake. Coated with a coconut buttercream and topped with fresh berries.
This recipe is designed for a single layer, that way you just multiple the amounts by the number of layers you want your cake to be and you’ve got yourself a layer cake. The icing is enough for a light coating on a three layer cake.
Classic Vanilla Birthday CakePrint
- 1 flax egg
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
Coconut Buttercream Icing
- 1 can coconut milk, in the fridge overnight
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond milk
- 3 cups icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl create you flax egg by combining 1 heaping tbsp of ground flaxseed and 3 tablespoons of water. Set aside to thicken.
- In a mixer add your flour and baking powder and mix.
- Add vegan butter to your mixer on medium speed 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until you get a crumb-like consistency.
- Add the sugar to your mixture a little bit at a time. The crumbs should be smaller now.
- Next add your flax egg and vanilla. Beat until combined. The mix should start to cling together now.
- Add your milk and beat until you get a smooth cake batter.
- Generously grease an 8" round cake pan and pour your cake batter into it. Be sure to smooth it out with a spatula.
- Bake in your preheated over for 22-25 minutes. Be sure to watch it constantly, but to avoid opening the oven throughout baking.
- These amounts make enough for one layer, if you want multiple layers repeat steps 2 through 9 as for as many layers as you want. We made a three layer cake.
- While the cakes are baking you can prepare your icing by; adding your coconut cream (be sure to only add the cream, we do not want the liquid - pro tip: the liquid can be saved and used in smoothies!), butter and vanilla until combined. Then add almond milk and slowly add your icing sugar and whip on medium speed. It may take quite a while, so be patient. You also may not need as much icing sugar, keep adding until you get your desired consistency.
- Pro tip: The icing makes enough to lightly cover a three layer cake!
- Be sure that each cake layer cools completely before you aply your icing. If it doesn't your icing will melt off!
- Decorate to your liking and serve, we decorated ours with fresh berries.