Creamy and full of mushrooms – this Creamy Mushroom Fettucine is perfect for your next date night. Easy to make and absolutely full of flavour.
There’s no hiding it, we LOVE mushrooms. They have such a beautiful earthy flavour and come in a number of delicious varieties. Seriously we can never have too many mushrooms. That’s why when we were tasked with making a delicious vegan Valentine’s Day dinner Kat packed in the mushrooms.
Did you know you can have a perfectly creamy dish without any dairy? That’s right there’s no milk or cheese in this dish – unless you count their vegan counterparts. With a handful of common ingredients, that you probably already have in your fridge, you can have a delicious creamy pasta perfect for a date night or dinner party.
Start with a quick saute of mushrooms. To create depth of flavour, we recommend using a medley of mushrooms, including dehydrated mushrooms. If you haven’t used dehydrated mushrooms in your cooking, now is your chance. Fairly inexpensive and packed full of flavour, dehydrated mushrooms are the ultimate flavour booster. Dehydrated mushrooms can be found in most grocery stores and Asian markets.
Creamy Mushroom FettucciniPrint
- 4 oz fettuccini
- 1 portobello mushroom, sliced
- 2 white mushrooms, sliced
- 5 dehydrated mushrooms
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 5 dehydrated mushrooms
- Get a pot of salted water to a rolling boil and add the dry pasta. Cook according the the packaging instructions. Set aside. Once cooked, drain the pasta reserving some of the pasta water in case needed.
- Place your dehydrated mushrooms into a small bowl of boiled water and allow to re-hydrate.
- To a deep pan or dutch-oven add vegan butter, minced shallot and minced garlic. Stir around for about 2 minutes until golden. Add the sliced portobello mushroom and white mushrooms. Toss until coated in butter. Place the lid on the pot until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add the flour and toss until the flour starts to look like a paste. You may need to add a touch of water to get this consistency. Add the non-dairy milk and 1/2 cup of the mushroom water from the dehydrated mushrooms. Mix until incorporated. Add nutritional yeast and thyme.
- Slice the dehydrated mushrooms and add those to the sauce as well. Stir until incorporated. Cook until just thickened, you still want to be able to pour it smoothly.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and add any pasta water to thin out if needed. Top with some fresh parsley, serve with garlic bread and you're good to go.
How to make Vegan Creamy Mushroom Fettuccine