Crispy, baked falafel served with a chopped veggie salad on a bed of tender farro. Falafel Farro Bowl is a quick and easy lunch or meal prep.
We’re not ones for salad, but we do love fresh and vibrant ingredients. That’s where bowls come into it. Bowls are full of fresh, flavourful ingredients on a bed of heart grains and this Falafel Farro Bowl is no exception.
What is falafel?
Falafel is deep-fried and formed as a ball or patty. It’s typically made from ground chickpeas, fava beans, or both. Falafel is a traditional Middle Eastern food, commonly served in a pita or wrapped in flatbread.
The origin of falafel is very much debated. Some say it’s origin is Lebanese while others say Israelis. Other theories state that is was first made in Egypt possibly eaten as a replacement for meat during lent.
What is farro?
Farro is a new grain to us, but we loved it from the moment we tried it. It originated in the Fertile Crescent – a zone between Iran, Iraq, Syra and Palestine. Farro is an ancient wheat grain that has been around for thousands of years. It has a nutty flavour and unique, chewy texture that is perfect for this bowl.
Top tips for making this recipe:
- Cook farro the way that suits you best. You can use the instructions on your package, but there are also other popular methods like the pasta method (cooking in a large pot of boiling water until al dente).
- Taste the farro to ensure it’s cooked properly. Farro can be difficult to cook, so give it a taste periodically to ensure its cooked to the texture you want.
- For a crispier falafel try air frying it!
How to meal prep Falafel Farro Bowl:
This recipe is just screaming to be meal prepped. All you have to do is store each component separately, then when you’re ready for lunch (or dinner) just make yourself a bowl and done. Time saved and still bounds of delicious flavour.
Substitutions for this recipe:
- Farro – We LOVE farro. It has so much flavour and nutrients packed into it. However if you can’t find farro you can send for any other grain. We enjoy this recipe with brown rice and freekeh as well.
Falafel Farro Bowl
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 8 falafel
- 1/2 cup mixed olives roughly chopped
- optional sliced pickles
- 26 g (½ cup) cucumber, cubed
- 70 g (½ cup) cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 7 g (¼ cup) parsley, finely chopped
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 10 mL (2 tsp) white wine vinegar
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
Hummus Tahini Dressing
- 60 g (¼ cup) hummus
- 60 g (¼ cup) tahini
- 15 g (1 tbsp) dijon mustard
- 15 mL (½) lemon, juiced
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) maple syrup
- 30-60 mL (2-4 tbsp) water
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- Cook farro according to package directions and let cool to room temperature.
To make veggie salad:
- To a bowl combine olive oil. white wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Add cucumber, tomatoes and parsley and toss to combine. Set aside.
To make dressing:
- Combine all ingredients to a bowl and mix until smooth. Optionally you could use a food processor or blender for this step.
To make falafel:
- Heat falafel according to package instrustions.
- Add farro to bowl, top with chopped salad, falafel, olives and (optional) pickles. Drizzle with dressing.
Pin it for later: