Take pasta night up a level thanks to the grill! This easy Grilled Gnocchi with Asparagus and Pesto is a delicious summertime recipe everyone will love. This recipe features grilled potato gnocchi, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, and a dairy free pesto.
Fire up the grill because its summertime so we’re basically grilling everything – including our pasta. We love using the grill this time of year and have been trying new ways to enjoy it. If you follow us, you know that we don’t love to boil gnocchi, instead we normally bake it like in our Sheet Pan Gnocchi with Mushroom & Arugula and Garlicky Mushroom Sheet Pan Gnocchi. It was only a matter of time before we grilled our gnocchi.
Top tips for making Grilled Gnocchi:
- Use shelf stable gnocchi. For this recipe we used shelf stable gnocchi and it worked perfectly! Fresh gnocchi will most likely be too delicate for the grill but we haven’t tested it with fresh vegan pasta.
- Adjust cook times based on ingredient. Don’t just throw all the ingredients into your grill pan as they will all have different cook times. Follow the recipe as stated and everything should cook evenly.
- Cook in batches if needed. Depending on the size of your grill pan it may be best to cook it in batches. Just be sure not to overcrowd your grill pan.
- Toss with gnocchi immediately. Once everything has been grilled, toss in pesto immediately. This allows the pesto to take on some of the residual heat from the pasta and easily coat everything.
Ingredient & Substitution Ideas:
- Gnocchi – We used a store bought shelf stable gnocchi for this recipe!
- Cherry Tomatoes – Tri-colour cherry tomatoes work best here.
- Asparagus – Not an asparagus fan? In place use another favourite veggie like eggplant or zucchini.
- Olive Oil – Any oil will work in place here like vegetable oil, avocado oil, or your personal favourite.
- Vegan Parmesan – Don’t have access to vegan parmesan cheese? Try nutritional yeast instead!
- Fresh Basil – Basil works best as it compliments the flavour of the pesto but you can choose another herb you enjoy or leave it out entirely.
- Dairy Free Pesto – We used a store bought pesto but you could also make a homemade version if you want.
Grilled Gnocchi FAQ:
Do you have to boil gnocchi?
No! This recipe cooks the gnocchi on the grill without boiling. Boiling the gnocchi first would not hold up properly on the grill. Just be sure you’re choose shelf stable, store bough gnocchi.
How do you grill gnocchi?
To grill gnocchi use shelf stable gnocchi and toss in your choice of oil. Then place in a grill basket and cook until golden and crispy.
How to make Grilled Gnocchi with Asparagus and Pesto:
Grilled Gnocchi with Asparagus and Pesto
- 500 g gnocchi
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 60 mL (¼ cup) olive oil, divided
- 40 g (⅓ cup) vegan parmesan, (or nooch)
- basil leaves, to taste
- 30 g (2 tbsp) basil pesto
- In a bowl toss gnocchi in 1 tbsp of oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In another bowl toss asparagus pieces in 1 tbsp of oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In another bowl too cherry tomatoes with remaining 2 tbsp oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat with a large grill basket.
- Once preheated add gnocchi and grill, tossing occasionally for 5 minutes. Add in asparagus and cook for an additional 5 minutes, tossing occasionally. Finally add in cherry tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes start to blister.
- Once the tomatoes have blistered, remove the grill basket from the heat and transfer to the serving bowl and toss with pesto.
- Serve with vegan parm and fresh basil to taste.