Grilled Hasselback Potatoes loaded with vegan cheese, bacon, onion and topped with sour cream.
Summer is about the grill. It’s about getting outside in the sun and having fun. With these Grilled Hasselback Potatoes, now you can be outside all day long. Our recipe is loaded with a bunch of our favourite flavours and toppings. Bacon, green onions, cheese, onions, ranch and butter – does it get any better?
But what exactly are hasselback potatoes? A Hasselback potato is basically just a baked potato, except it’s cut into very thin slices about 1/4″ from the bottom so that the potato still stays intact. They seem complicated, but their actually fairly simple – and we have an awesome hack to make them even easier. The moment you cut through the entire potato, it’s no longer a hasselback potato. In order to ensure that you’re making deep cuts without going through the entire thing, place two wooden spoon handles on either side of the potato. With a sharp knife, cut through the potato until you reach the wood spoons and no more, repeat across their entire potato. For the best sized cuts, we recommend no more than 1/4″ slices.
Why you need to make these Grilled Hasselback Potatoes:
- Quick and easy bbq side.
- Super decadent, creamy and cheesy!
- Look impressive; easy to make.
- Carbs. Are. Life.
- Cheese. Bacon. Ranch. Carbs.
We love grilled potatoes as a side – whether it’s hasselback or not. Potatoes offer the perfect vessel for creativity and a build-your-own station. Serve up some buttery, perfectly grilled potatoes and allow each of your guests to build their own loaded potato. From vegan bacon to cheese, carmelized onion, ranch, sour cream, ground round, butter and so much more. The possibilities of a potato are truly endless.
Check out the full recipe and video below.
Grilled Loaded Hasselback Potatoes
Grilled Hasselback Potatoes
- 2 large potatoes (250 g each) Two large potatoes
- 1/2 (55 g) medium spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (15 g) steak seasoning
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil
- 1 cup (112 g) Daiya Jalapeno Havarti cheese, shredded
Ranch Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup (120 g) vegan sour cream
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp fresh dill
- 2 slices (40 g) cooked vegan bacon, diced
- 2 sprigs (30 g) green onion, chopped
- Place the handles of two wooden spoons on either side of the potatoes. Using a sharp knife cut through the potato until you reach the wooden spoons. Repeat in 1/4" slices until you get through the entire two potatoes. For a visual of this, check out the video below.
- Coat each potato in oil and using your hands rub it over the potato and into each slice as much as you can. Into each of the slices season it with steak spice and stuff them with cheese and onions slices.
- Roll the potatoes in tin foil, shiny side in, and place on a grill on high heat. Grill for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- To make the ranch sour cream, combine sour cream, garlic, onion and fresh dill.
- Open the tin foil and top potatoes with ranch sour cream, bacon and green onions. Serve warm.
How to make Vegan Grilled Hasselback Potatoes (video)