Stuffed with an herb garlic cream cheese and creamy cheese sauce these cheesy Grilled Stuffed Peppers are the perfect summer snack.
Grilling isn’t all about burgers and hot dogs. Snacks and appetizers are the name of the game for these Grilled Stuffed Peppers. With a few simple ingredients, each bite is packed with flavour and vegan creamy cheese.
As a lovers of all things cheesy and jalapeno poppers, this recipe is an instant hit. A quick Pinterest search inspired these delicious, easy vegan grilled version. We’ve done some research into jalapeno popper and cheesy stuffed peppers, and weren’t able to find any background or origin information on them. So if you know the history of cheese stuffed peppers please send us any info you have.
Stuffed peppers cooking tips:
- Remove the seeds – If you’re using hot peppers but are sensitive to heat be sure to remove all the seeds beforehand.
- Watch carefully – These peppers will cook quickly. Stay near your grill as these cook so you can ensure they don’t burn.
- Make it custom – Shake up what you’re stuffing your peppers with by alternating the cheesy fillings.
Simple substitutions for this recipe:
- Mini Sweet Peppers – If you like things spicy swap out for all jalapeno peppers.
- Jalapeno Peppers – If you don’t like things spicy, sub out for all sweet peppers.
- Vegan Cream Cheese – Any spreadable vegan cheese will do!
- Liquid Smoke – If you can’t get liquid smoke you could sub for a smoked paprika to still get that smoky flavour.
- Panko – Any breadcrumb or crushed crackers or shreddies will do!
- Vegan Butter – If you don’t have access to vegan butter, try coconut oil instead.
Grilled Stuffed Peppers
- 5 mini sweet peppers and/or jalapenos
Herb Cream Cheese Filling
- 115 g (1/2 cup) vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp fresh thyme and rosemary, , minced
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 180 g (1.5 cups) vegan cheddar cheese, , shredded
- 110 g (1/2 cup) vegan cream cheese
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) non-dairy milk
- 1/8 tsp liquid smoke
Crunchy Panko Topping
- 30 g (1/4 cup) panko
- 7 g (1/2 tbsp) vegan butter
- To make the herbed cream cheese, combine all ingredients in a bowl and mash with a spoon until combined. Set aside.
- To make the vegan cheese sauce, add vegan cream cheese and non-dairy milk to saucepan on medium heat. Once melted down add in vegan shredded cheese and mix until smooth. Stir in liquid smoke and set aside.
- To make the crispy panko topping, add butter to frying pan on medium heat. Once melted, add panko and cook until panko is golden brown.
- Slice the peppers in half and de-seed. Add the peppers to a bowl and drizzle with a little bit of oil. Cook on your grill at 275F for 2 minutes on each side or until the peppers are slightly charred.
- Let the peppers cool slightly, then spread both cheese options in the pepper and top with crispy panko.