Golden and crispy on the outside, soft and pillow-y on the inside. These Crispy Herb Roasted Potatoes are not only super crispy but also really easy to make.
When you find the perfect crispy potato, there is no better feeling. They’re a perfect addition to most dinners, backyard barbecues, and weekend breakfasts. We wanted to make a recipe that had everything we were looking for, but were also fairly simple to make. We’ve tried many ways to make crispy potatoes. From pan frying to long roasts – all delicious, but none of them yielded the crisp we were looking for.
This technique is not unique to us. We found it from a Serious Eats recipe and knew we had to use it in one of our own recipes. The key to a perfectly crispy potato is pre-boiling them, then roughing them up. When you rough up the potatoes, it creates a mashed potato-like consistency around the outer layer providing a starchy coating that crisps up perfectly in the oven.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Simple recipe that’s easy to make.
- Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside.
- Super versatile recipe.
Top tips for making Crispy Herb Roasted Potatoes:
- Use the right potato. The type of potato you choose can affect the crispiness of the baked potatoes. The starchier the potato the more crisp it will get, but the more balanced between the starch and sugar content the more it will golden. It all depends on your preference. Yukon golds are a great option, but we also like mixed little potatoes for a variety.
- Pre-boil the potatoes. Baking the potatoes is not meant to cook them, just crisp them. Boiling is where you want most of the cooking to take place. Boil the potatoes until fork tender for the best results.
- Rough up the potatoes. To do this we drain the water and using the pot they were cooked in, cover with a lid and shake up very vigorously until you have a mashed potato-like consistency on the outside. It’s this step that sets up the potatoes for a super crispy exterior.
- Pre-heat the baking pan. While the potatoes are boiling we start to heat the oven to temp as well as the baking pan with a little oil on it. This allows the potatoes to start crisping up immediately.
- Use oil. This is a recipe that requires oil, no skimping here. Oil is what helps these potatoes get their golden brown and crispy exterior.
How to make Crispy Herb Roasted Potatoes:
Crispy Herb Roasted Potatoes
- 680 g mini potatoes, halved
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Drizzle half the olive oil on a baking sheet and set in the oven to warm.
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Cook halved potatoes until fork tender.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain the water, cover with a lid and shake to rough of the potatoes. Add remaining olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and thyme, cover then shake vigorously again.
- Remove the baking sheet from oven and spread the potatoes onto it, careful as it will be hot. Be sure to have as much space between the potatoes as possible.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes without moving or flipping. Then give them a toss or flip and continue roasting for an additional 15 minutes or until a deep golden brown and crispy.