Skip the croutons and add some Herby Crispy Tofu Croutons to your next vegan Caesar salad! Crispy, air-fried tofu cubes perfect for adding to salads, bowls and wraps.
If you know us, you know where not really salad people. But when we are having salad it’s most likely a vegan Caesar salad loaded with crunchy croutons. Well we’re giving our typically baked croutons a break and replacing them with Herby Crispy Tofu Croutons.
Made in an air-fryer these flavourful tofu bites are tossed in a combination of cornstarch, nutritional yeast, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Reminiscent of bread croutons, these high-protein tofu croutons are a great way to add extra protein to your salads, wraps or bowls.
Top tips for making Herby Crispy Tofu Croutons:
- Cornstarch is key. For super flavourful crispy tofu cornstarch is a powerhouse ingredient! Because cornstarch is almost completely starch it crisps up wonderfully.
- Don’t skimp on the flavour. Cornstarch is great for crispy tofu but it doesn’t offer a lot of flavour. Make sure you’re adding some seasonings or even marinade your tofu beforehand.
- Give them space. When placing your tofu on the baking sheet or in the air fryer, make sure there is space between each cube. This allows the air to circulate around the entire piece of tofu resulting in a more even bake.
- A little non-stick spray goes a long way. While you can make this tofu oil free, we like to use just a little bit of non-stick cooking spray for ultimate crispiness – even when using an air fryer.
Herby Crispy Tofu Croutons FAQ:
What are the different ways to cook this tofu?
We typically opt to air fry our crispy tofu croutons. However you can also bake them! To make crispy tofu in the oven, preheat the oven to 400F and bake for 20 minutes, flip, and bake another 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
Can I make this crispy tofu without cornstarch?
Yes! We like using cornstarch because it results in crispy tofu every single time, but you can make this recipe without cornstarch as well. Just remove the corn starch from this recipe and coat with nutritional yeast and other seasonings.
Can I make this crispy tofu oil free?
Yes! While this recipe calls for a quick spritz of non-stick cooking spray but you can omit it if you prefer.
How to make crispy Herby Tofu Croutons:
Herby Crispy Tofu Croutons
- 350 g (1 block) extra firm tofu
- 15 g (2 tbsp) cornstarch
- 7 g (2 tbsp) nutritional yeast
- 1 g (1 tsp) Italian seasoning
- 1 g (½ tsp) garlic powder
- 1 g (½ tsp) onion powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- non-stick cooking spray
- To a bowl combine cornstarch, nutritional yeast, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cut tofu into 1cm cubes and add to bowl with dry mix. Toss until each piece of tofu is coated evenly in the cornstarch mixture.
- Place in your air fryer with space between each cube. Spritz with a light layer of non-stick cooking spray and air fryer at 400°F for 15-20 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Add to your favourite salads, bowls and wraps.
Pin it for later: