Vegan Beer Sausages
We have wanted to make vegan sausages for a long time. It’s one of those things that you tell yourself one day you will do, but never do. Well beat that procrastination, we did it. They’re surprisingly easy to make. Now we didn’t make any ordinary vegan sausages, we made vegan beer sausages that can be grilled! They take a little bit of time and patience, but at the end of it all it’s totally worth it.
Big shout out to Brickwork’s Ciderhouse, located in Toronto, for gifting us a case of their parent company’s product – Mill St. Organic. This is Kat’s absolute favourite beer. They have been so incredible this year to gift us so much of their delicious product and we have been loving creating recipes with is. We absolutely love working with brands we adore, and it has been a dream to work with such and incredible company. If you had told us at the start of this that we’d get the chance to work with some of our favourite brands, we would’ve laughed in your face. But now, it’s happening. A big THANK YOU to them.
If you’re interested in seeing any of our past recipes in partnership with Brickwork’s Ciderhouse see them linked below:
If you have access to products from these awesome brand be sure to check them out! They’re definitely our favourite cider and beer.
Vegan Beer Sausages
- 1 can black beans
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup Mill Street Organic Beer + more for BBQ brushing
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 tbsp fennel seed
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp sage
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt & pepper
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup mushrooms sliced
- Slice your mushrooms and sautee in oil on medium heat until soft.
- Rinse your black beans and add to your food processor along with your sauteed mushrooms, miso paste, soy sauce, beer and liquid smoke. Give it a quick couple of pulses to mix.
- Add your gluten, fennel, garlic, onion, sage, mustard powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and all spice. Blend until combined and elastic.
- Divide your dough into 8 balls and roll into sausages.
- Warp each sausage tightly in tin foil and twist the ends closed.
- Steam your sausages in a steamer or do what we did and make a steamer by boiling water in a large pot, setting a sieve on top and placing you sausages in the sieve. Cover with a lid and set to steam for 45 minutes. Ensure to peak in every once and a while to ensure that there is still water in the pot!
- Once steamed unroll and barbecue your sausages to get those grill lines. Be sure to brush with beer a fair bit while barbecuing to keep it from drying out.
- Top with you favourite toppings.
How to make Grill-able Vegan Beer Sausages