Easy Vegan Lasagna
Cheesy, meaty and absolutely delicious. This Easy Vegan Lasagna is the perfect replica of your favourite lasagna growing up.
LASAGNA! Hands up if you love lasagna as much as we do (aka A LOT). This was Katherine’s favourite meal growing up. Anytime she got to choose dinner, she chose Lasagna. Seriously she could eat is all day, everyday. Her parents would batch build a bunch of lasagnas a freeze them to bake later. They even made individual portions for when Katherine or one of her siblings wanted a lunch or dinner at university. Yes, they were a lasagna family.
When she went vegan however that changed. She never stopped loving this delicious dish, but she did stop eating it because any vegan lasagna she tried just wasn’t the same. Don’t get us wrong, they were good, but just not the same. What Katherine craved was the classic meaty and cheesy dish she knew and loved. So we decided to make it. After all if what you want isn’t being made, you make it. So let’s look at the key characteristics of any great lasagna. A classic lasagna should be meaty, cheesy and full of carbs. These three things aren’t necessarily easy to achieve in a vegan dish. Spoiler alert, we did it.
First step, noodles. We used actual noodles, sorry no zucchini or eggplant here classic lasagna calls for all the carbs. Also the ready-to-bake noodles are a no-go for us. It’s fresh or packaged and boiled first for us only. Next up the meat! This was easier to do than most because we’re lucky in that we have access to great ground beef alternatives like Yves and Gardein. We opted for the Yves! Finally the cheese. Arguably the hardest part to get right in a vegan lasagna. We’ve had lasagnas that used vegan shredded cheese or an almond ricotta or cauliflower ricotta, but honestly none of them felt and tasted familiar enough. We discovered that a mixture of silken and firm tofu we’re the perfect texture for a delicious vegan ricotta cheese, plus some great cheesy flavour additions – you will seriously be shocked at how good this vegan ricotta cheese is.
We hope you love this dish as much as we do. It’s;
This Easy Vegan Lasagna is great for making at the beginning of the week. It makes a large amount and can be kept for lunches and dinners throughout the week. It’s great on its own, but even better paired with our Kale Caesar Salad.
Easy Vegan Lasagna
- 1 pkg (500 g) lasagna noodles
- 227 g (2 cups) vegan mozzarella shreds
Vegan Meat Sauce
- 1 can (680 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 can (796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 2 pkg (680 g) ground round
- 1 block (530 g) silken tofu
- 1 block (350 g) firm tofu
- 90 g (1/3 cup) miso paste
- 84 g (1/3 cup) vegan pesto
- 10 g (1/4 cup) nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) apple cider vinegar
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) water
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. Once al dente, strain and rise under cool water to prevent further cooking. Set aside.
- To make the vegan ricotta, combine tofu in a blender and process until crumbled. You still want some texture in the tofu, this is what is going to give it the ricotta feel. Add crumbled tofu to a large bowl and set aside. To the blender combine the remaining ricotta ingredients (miso, pesto, nutritional yeast, garlic, onion and apple cider vinegar). Blend until smooth. Pour into the tofu mixture and stir to combine. Set aside.
- To make the vegan meat sauce, combine the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and ground round in a bowl and set aside.
- Build your lasagna by starting with a small amount of sauce on the bottom of the pan. Layer noodles, then meat sauce, then tofu ricotta, then daiya cheese and repeat. When you get to the top layer add lots of cheese and some extra sauce if you have it.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 35-45 minutes covered. Remove the foil and broil on medium heat until the cheese is melted.
- Allow to rest for about 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with some vegan parmesan and enjoy.
How to make this Easy Vegan Lasagna: