One-Pot Vegan Mac and Cheese
One-pot, delicious and perfect for a busy weeknight – our One-Pot Vegan Mac and Cheese is here to save the day. This super simple vegan dinner is so easy you’ll be making every day.
Hands up if you thought you had to give up ooey-gooey mac and cheese when you went vegan? Well guess what? You don’t! You can still have the same delicious, comforting creamy mac and cheese and we’re here to show you how. Mac and cheese is one of our favourite meals when looking for something comforting, yet easy to make. Our One-Pot Vegan Mac and Cheese is the ultimate weeknight comfort meal. With just a handful of ingredients and one pot, you can make this super simple dinner.
We’ve been really loving quick and easy meals. One-pot, sheet pan, and 30-minute meals have truly changed our weeknight dinner game. To be honest, we can’t count how many times we’ve made this One-Pot Vegan Mac and Cheese recipes, it’s honestly SO MANY TIMES. With a few simple ingredients and about 20 minutes of time, you too can have dinner ready and on the table. Plus it’s the perfect vessel for a little creativity. We have loved adding broccoli, buffalo chick’n, and peas to this dish as well!
Top tip for making this recipe:
- Under-cook the pasta just slightly. When cooking your pasta initially you’ll want to ensure that you aren’t cooking it more than al dente. Since you’ll be cooking it slightly longer to melt the cheese and finish off the mac and cheese, it will continue to cook even after you drain the water. If you don’t under-cook slightly, you will end up with some mushy overcooked pasta.
- Don’t leave out the miso paste. We don’t say it’s optional in this recipe, but we still feel it’s necessary to mention it again. The miso paste is key to make vegan cheesy recipes actually taste cheesy. This is a technique we learned while reviewing Mississippi Vegan’s cookbook.
- Get creative! This recipe is great as is, but is also great when you change things up a little. Try different vegan cheeses or add in some veggies or other vegan ingredients.
How do you make a One-Pot Vegan Mac and Cheese?
The best part about this recipe is that it’s truly one of the easiest recipe you will make. All you have to do is cook your pasta, drain it (don’t forget to reserve some of the cooking liquid just in case you need it), add in your non-dairy milk, vegan cheese, and every other ingredient and stir until smooth and creamy. Yup, that’s it.
One-Pot Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 225 g uncooked pasta
- 175 mL (¾ cup) unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 112 g (1 cup) vegan cheese shreds
- 28 g (2 tbsp) vegan butter
- 15 g (1 tbsp) miso paste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until just al dente. Drain liquid from pot, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water just in case.
- Return the noodles to the pot, add non-dairy milk, vegan cheese shreds, butter, miso paste, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir and cook on low heat until smooth, creamy and you get your desired thickness.
Pin it for later: