Summer is in full swing, and we’ve been enjoying delicious summer treats all season long. From s’mores to burgers to delicious salads, this summer has been incredible. However, one thing we haven’t had yet this summer is hot dogs! Hot dogs are one of the best things about summer, but they could kind of boring repeated. Enter the hot dog challenge, and this delicious Jalapeno Popper Hot Dog.
It has spice, cheese, and a hot dog, what more could you ask for? Maybe two delicious hot dogs? Be sure to check out this dog’s challenger – Banh Mi Hot Dog! Be sure to check out the challenge video below to vote for your favourite.
We love this dog because it’s super easy to make and packs an awesome punch. With a hot dog, grilled to perfection, topped with an ooey, gooey cheese sauce (thanks in part to Daiya Cream Cheese and Cheddar Shreds) and air-fried crispy jalapeno chunks. The contrast of the crunch with the creamy-ness of the cheese make this the perfect comfort food summer dish.
Vegan Jalapeno Popper Hot Dogs
- 2 veggie dogs
- 2 hot dog buns
- 2 jalapeno, , deseeded
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Daiya Chive & Onion Cream Cheese
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 3/4 cup Daiya Cheddar Shreds
- De-seed your jalapenos and slice into thin pieces. Set aside.
- Mix all your batter ingredients in a bowl. Toss your jalapeno pieces into the batter until all are coated. Then toss each piece in panko and place in an air-fryer (these can also be deep fried). Air-fry for about 15 minutes until nice and crispy.
- In a sauce pan add your vegan cream cheese and non-dairy milk over medium heat. Once the cream cheese has mostly melted add in your cheddar shreds and stir until melted. Set aside. It will thicken as it sits.
- To prepare your buns, spread vegan butter on the inside and sprinkle on your garlic powder, oregano, and parsley. Toast your buns until golden.
- Barbecue your hot dogs until there are grill lines on all sides.
- Construct your hots dogs by drizzling cheese on your toasted bun, add a layer of crispy jalapenos, place your hot dog, top with cheese again, and jalapeno pieces again. Eat and enjoy.