Carbs are basically life, right? That’s why we like to start our day with carbs. When you start your day with carbs, you just know it is going to be a great day. Muffins are one of our favourite ways to consume said carbs.
Muffins are easy to make and last for a a number of breakfasts. One of the best on-the-go breakfasts. Perfect for those 6 a.m. wake up calls when you have to eat your breakfast on the run to catch your bus. Yes, this happens all the time. But these muffins seriously save my stomach for those fast-paced, on-the-go mornings.
This is actually one of my (Kat) favourite muffin flavours even. Actually just one of my favourite flavours in general, whether it’s a loaf, bagel, cookie or whatnot. Lemon and poppy seeds are a match made in heaven.
These muffins are actually perfection. With fresh lemon juice and zest in the batter, these muffins pack a serious flavour punch. They are moist and light and the slight crunchy texture that the poppy seeds offer is amazing.
These muffins are the perfect way to start your day. They are so flavourful and bright; a sure way to create a great start to a great day.
Bonus tip: Make a simple icing sugar icing to drizzle over top and you have a great dessert!
Lemon Poppy Seed MuffinsPrint
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp poppyseeds
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup non-dairy milk +1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 flax eggs, 2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp cold water
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a small bowl mix your flax eggs and allow to sit for about 5 minutes.
- In a separate small bowl make vegan buttermilk by adding non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Allow to sit until curdled or about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl add all your dry ingredients and whisk together.
- In another large bowl mix all your wet ingredients together.
- Create a small well in the dry mix and add your wet ingredients to it. Fold the dry into the wet until thoroughly combined.
- Line your muffin tin and fill until full, less if you want more muffins. Fill any unused muffin moulds with water.
- Place a pan with water in the oven on the bottom rack. Place your muffin tin on the rack just above. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
How to make Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins