Easy homemade Lemon Sandwich Cookies with buttery sugar cookies and a vibrant lemon cream filling. This easy vegan treat is perfect for summer!
Ready for some Lemon Sandwich Cookies!? These bright and vibrant sugar cookie sandwiches are the sweet treat you need! Tender, light vegan lemon sugar cookies with a sweet, yet tart lemon cream filling. These cookies make great sandwiches, but are also good as plain or iced single cookies!
Top tips for making Vegan Lemon Sandwich Cookies:
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. To make a tender, light cookie you want to make sure that the butter is beaten until fluffy – at least 5 minutes.
- Don’t overmix the flour. Beat the butter long enough, so that all you have to do is mix in th3e flour until just combined. Overmixing flour can create a gummy and tough cookie.
- Use parchment to roll out the dough. This is a delicate and soft dough so to avoid any mess when rolling out the cookies roll them with lightly floured parchment paper.
- Freeze cookies to avoid spreading. To make sure the cookies keep their shape when baking you want them as cold as possible. If you have more time you can chill them in the fridge for at least 60 minutes or in the freezer for 10 minutes if you want cookies now.
- Bake until lightly golden around the edges. The cookies are fully baked once you start to see a golden brown colour around the edges.
- Completely cool cookies before icing. Before making the cookie sandwiches, make sure the cookies have completely cooled! If you have time leaving them to cool a room temperature is okay. However if you’re in a little more of a time crunch you can chill the cookies in the fridge.
- Make a stiff, yet spreadable icing. The icing needs to be pipeable and spreadable but still hold its shape! Each brand of icing sugar and butter is different so you may need to adjust accordingly.
Lemon Sandwich Cookies FAQ:
Does sugar cookie dough freeze well?
Yes! You can freeze these cookies at many stages. You can freeze the dough in a log and just slice and bake straight from the freezer. You can also cut out the cookies then freeze on a single baking sheet and place the frozen cookie dough disks in a bag. Lastly you can freeze the cookies after you’ve baked them!
Is white sugar vegan?
Yes, but it depends where you live. White sugar can be processed with bone char, however most white sugar in Canada is vegan-friendly. If it’s important to you, you can contact your sugar producer to confirm the processing method for their sugar.
How to make Lemon Sandwich Cookies:
Lemon Cookie Sandwiches
- 100 g (½ cup) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 226 g (1 cup) salted vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300 g (2 ½ cups) all purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 15-30 mL (1-2 tbsp) lemon juice, if needed
- 113 g (½ cup) vegan butter, softened
- 240 g (2 cups) icing sugar
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Cream together the vegan butter, sugar, lemon zest, and the vanilla until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour to creamed butter and beat until a dough just comes together. If the dough isn't coming together and is still crumbly add lemon juice (1 tbsp at a time) and beat until the dough comes together. Don't add too much liquid to avoid a sticky dough.
- Lightly flour two pieces of parchment paper and roll out the dough between them to about 1/4" thick. Using a cookie cutter, cut cookies using a 2-3" cookie cutter. Re-roll out any dough scraps to make additional cookies.
- Transfer cookies to a lined baking sheet and optionally sprinkle any extra lemon zest on top and press gently into cookies for decoration. Place baking sheet in the freezer for 10-20 minutes while the oven preheats.
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Bake cookies for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom and slightly golden around the edges.
- Allow cookies to cool for 5-10 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.
- While the cookies cool make the the filling by beating vegan butter in a stand mixer until light and fluffy. Slowly add icing sugar and beat until combined. Add lemon zest and lemon juice and beat until combined. Place in a piping bag.
- Once the cookies have cooled completely, cut the piping bag to make a 1 cm opening and pipe a layer of butter cream on half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies and serve.