Spring and Summer are probably the best food seasons. So many delicious ingredients are in season and every recipe is so bright and fresh. Everything is just so happy. That’s why you will probably find some of our brightest and most colourful recipes within the next couple of months. A nice break from our usual very brown and deep fried food (not that we are complaining about deep fried food).
However we couldn’t get rid of the junk food completely, which is why this recipe is also a taco recipe. Introducing our Vegan Mushroom Asparagus Tacos. These tacos are packed full of fresh flavours and delicious vegetables. Plus asparagus, which I love. Seriously am so addicted. I have probably make grilled or baked asparagus at least once or twice a week right now. I know what your thinking… your pee must always smell (ps. no one tell Devin that I am talking about the affect asparagus has on humans again).
Smelly pee aside, these tacos should be on everyone’s recipe rotation this Spring and Summer. They are easy to make and a wonderful twist on everyone’s favourite; tacos. Seriously who doesn’t love a good taco? No one. Your roomies, best friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, parents, or whoever else is in your life will thank you for it.
MUSHROOM ASPARAGUS TACOS
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 6 white mushrooms, , sliced
- 4 radishes, , thinly sliced
- 1 cup cilantro
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, , divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp hot chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper, , to taste
Adobo Cream Sauce
- 1/4 block firm tofu
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 lime, , juiced
- 5 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Trim asparagus bottoms at least 1 inch. Place on a lined baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tbsp of oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat evenly.
- Bake asparagus for 15-20 min. Watch it careful so that you don't overcook it. Overcooking it will cause a chewy, stringy texture that you don't want. You still want a little crunch left in the asparagus. You can also grill these if you want to.
- To make your adobo cream sauce add all the sauce ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- To make your sauteed mushrooms, add 1 tbsp of oil to a pan on medium heat. Add your sliced mushrooms, onion, garlic, hot chili powder, and smoked paprika. Toss to coat. Place a lid on your pan and steam your mushrooms until soft.
- On a flattop, pan, or grill heat your corn tortillas for about 30 seconds on each side.
- To construct your tacos, add your asparagus to your warm tortillas, then top with mushroom mix, cilantro, sliced radishes, and drizzle with your adobo sauce.