Meal two in our Go Vegan, Not Broke series is a classic. Something you will see us make all the time, because like the series suggests, it’s low cost, delicious and very customizable. A stir fry! That’s write we are writing another love letter to our favourite dish.
On any given day around 6:00pm you will find us in our kitchens probably making a stir fry. One of the most important aspects to a good stir fry is keeping it simple, and on a small budget we really had no choice. However simple the recipe is, it does not lack in flavour at all. There is a nice punch of flavour from the incorporated vegetable broth, zest of lime juice and savoury-ness of the peanut butter.
It is the perfect weekday meal, because not only is it super easy to make, but it can also be made in about 20 minutes! One of the best parts about our series Go Vegan, Not Broke is that most of the recipes we are providing you are all so quick to make. Making them the perfect weekday meal, when you are getting home late and just want to relax after work or school.
The total cost of this recipe is about $6.59 CND, and with it serving at least four people, that is only $1.65 per serving! We love this recipe because it doesn’t break the bank, but still tastes amazing.
Peanut Lime Stir FryPrint
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth, $0.13
- 1 lime juiced, $0.50
- 1 tbsp soy sauce, $0.02
- 1 clove garlic, $0.14
- 1 tbsp peanut butter, $0.68
- pinch chili flakes, $0.15
- 1 block firm tofu, $1.88
- 1 pkg frozen stir fry vegetables, we used Bangkok style ($2.27)
- 1 cups brown rice, $0.82
- cilantro, for topping (optional)
- Cook your brown rice according to the package.
- While your rice is cooking, you can make your sauce. In a food processor or blender combine your broth, lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, peanut butter and chili flakes and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Press your tofu for about five minutes the cube and add to a hot wok on medium heat. Pan fry until golden brown, then add your package of frozen vegetables and steam by placing your lid on and sitting for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add your sauce to your veggie and tofu mixture and cook until the sauce is absorbed by the tofu and vegetables.
- Serve alongside your rice and with a sprinkle of cilantro (optional).