A crunchy base with a creamy pumpkin filling; these Vegan Pumpkin Pie Jars are a great alternative to a pumpkin pie. Easy to make and even easier to eat, these fall-inspired treats are a yummy snack or dessert.
It’s our favourite season; pumpkin season! When fall rolls around each year all we want is pumpkin décor, pumpkin spice, pumpkin smell and pumpkin taste. Luckily for you, this easy vegan recipe brings you all four! Not only are these Pumpkin Pie Jars super pretty to look at but they also taste and smell delicious.
If you look at our recipes, you know that we love a simple and uncomplicated recipe that anyone can make. This is the farthest think from it. With just 11 simple ingredients and 45 minutes, these treats are on your table in no time.
Top tips for making Vegan Pumpkin Pie Jars:
- Season to taste. Everybody’s taste is different. While making the pumpkin pie filing we suggest you taste as you season to ensure you put just the right amount of pumpkin pie spice for your own taste buds.
- Mix granola for even baking. Every 10 minutes or so, the granola should be stir and tossed in the oven to ensure everything is evenly toasted and baked.
- Use as much or as little filling as you want. We love a pumpkin pie filling so we like using tall skinny jars for our dessert. However you can use less by using a shallow dish or cup for yours!
- Make ahead hack: The best part about this recipe is every component of it can be made ahead. So if you have a busy day cooking a full meal, you can prep this 2-3 days in advance! Simply store the baked granola, pumpkin filling, and coconut whipped cream in separate air-tight containers before you’re ready to layer them together on the day of.
Ingredients and Substitutions:
- Pumpkin Puree – We use canned pumpkin puree but you can also opt to use homemade pumpkin puree. Just be sure you’re not getting pumpkin pie filling, you want just pumpkin puree without the extra ingredients.
- Coconut Whipped Cream – Again we like to use a store bought one because its easiest, but you can also make your own if you’d like to!
- Spices – There are a variety of spices included in this recipe to achieve the perfect pumpkin pie spice including; ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. You can also opt to include cloves, cardamom, and all spice if you want to.
- Vanilla Extract – Gives that extra bit of flavour to a delicious baked good. You can also opt to use vanilla bean paste or fresh vanilla pod.
- Pretzels – This gives the crumble a delicious salty crunch. If you don’t want to use pretzels you can substitute with another crunchy snack but we highly recommend pretzels.
- Pecans – Pecans and fall are truly a perfect pair. If you don’t like pecans you can use a different nut or seed like; walnuts, almonds, pepita seeds, sunflower seeds, or any other nut or seed you want to try.
- Rolled Oats – Is it even granola without oats? You can leave these out but we don’t recommend it.
- Coconut Sugar – You can opt to use brown sugar if you prefer or don’t have access to coconut sugar.
- Agave Nectar – When we made this recipe we used agave nectar, which we still love, but we do also highly recommend making this recipe with maple syrup.
Can this recipe be stored?
If you want to make this recipe ahead and store it for later, we recommend storing each component – pumpkin pie filling, granola crust, and coconut whipped cream – separately and then building your jars when you want to eat them.
How to make Vegan Pumpkin Pie Jars:
Pumpkin Pie Jars
Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup coconut whipped cream
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Granola Crumble "Crust"
- 1/2 cup pretzels, chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup coconut whipped cream
- cinnamon, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
To make the pumpkin pie filling:
- In bowl add the pumpkin puree, coconut whipped cream, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Mix until all incorporated. Taste and adjust spices to taste.
To make the granola crumble "crust":
- In a bowl add the chopped pretzels, chopped pecans, rolled oats, coconut sugar, agave nectar and nutmeg. Stir with a wooden spoon until mixed thoroughly.
- Spread granola mix on lined baking sheet evenly. Place in oven for 20-25 minutes. Mix the granola on the baking sheet approximately every 10 minutes.
To make the Pumpkin Pie Jars:
- In small mason jars (or cups) place a layer of the granola, then topped with about 1/4 cup of the pumpkin pie filling and top with about 1/4 cup of coconut whipped cream. Garish with a sprinkle of the granola on top.