This quick and easy Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate is made with pumpkin puree, dark chocolate, cacao powder, non-dairy milk, and the perfect blend of pumpkin pie spice. The perfect warm drink on a cool fall day.
Want to indulge in PSL season without the coffee? Our creamy and delicious Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate is what you need. A chocolate lovers dream, this warm drink includes creamy dark chocolate AND cacao powder. Plus, the homemade pumpkin pie spice is the perfect balance for this cozy treat. Perfect for autumn nights in with a warm blanket and a good movie.
What is pumpkin spice?
Pumpkin spice (also known as pumpkin pie spice) is an American spice mix used in pumpkin pie. Typically it’s a blend of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and occasionally allspice. We typically opt to include allspice in our blend because it adds that extra little oomph to your spice blend.
Top tips for making Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate:
- Use both chocolate AND cacao powder. For the best tasting homemade hot chocolate we include both melted dark chocolate and cacao powder. This gives the perfect texture and taste.
- Heat over a medium setting. Milk can burn easily, to avoid burning it heat the hot chocolate over a medium-low setting. The milk should never come to a boil – if it starts to come close, lower the heat.
- Use a neutral tasting non-dairy milk. We love using a unsweetened soy milk for this recipe, but any neutral tasting non-dairy milk will do. If you don’t have soy milk you can also try oat milk!
- Adjust to taste. We all have different taste buds, so we recommend tasting as you make this recipe to ensure its perfect for your palate.
- A little salt goes a long way. If you want to add a little extra oomph to your hot chocolate, add a sprinkle of salt just before serving.
How to make Vegan Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate:
Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate
- 480 mL (2 cups) soy milk
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp allspice
- 30 g (3 tbsp) dark chocolate, chopped
- 50 g (¼ cup) pumpkin puree
- To a saucepan over medium heat add non-dairy milk and heat until warm – about 5 minutes. Add dark chocolate and whisk until melted. Whisk in the cacao powder and spices, and mix until smooth. Finally add in the pumpkin puree and whisk until smooth.
- Once warmed to your desired temperature top with your favourite hot chocolate toppings like vegan marshmallows, whipped cream, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Pin it for later: