These deep fried vegan cake donuts are as delicious as their campfire counterpart. Learn how to make these easy S’mores Donuts with Chocolate Glaze, Marshmallows, and Graham Cracker Crumbs. This delicious plant based dessert needs no rise time at all!
It’s become quite the tradition around here to make a s’mores recipe every year. In the past we’ve made S’mores Cookies, S’mores Bars, and S’mores Cinnamon Rolls. This year we’ve made delicious S’mores Donuts with Chocolate Glaze and Marshmallows.
These delicious cake donuts aren’t your traditional baked cake donut. Instead we opted to go with a un-yeasted cake donut that was fried! This means that you don’t have to wait for your dough to rise and it’s still deep fried. The fry gives these sweet treats the perfect gold brown and crispy outer shell and pillow-y inside.
What is a cake donut?
While yeast donuts are, as the name suggests, are yeast risen donuts that offer a soft and fluffy result. Cake donuts are made from a cake-like batter that uses baking powder or baking soda as a leavener. Cake donuts have a denser texture with a crisp outer shell. Both equally delicious in their own way!
Top tips for making S’mores Donuts:
- Let the vegan buttermilk rest until curdled. To make a vegan buttermilk combine soy milk with apple cider vinegar and let it rest for 5-10 minutes. The acid will curdle the fat in the milk creating a version of buttermilk.
- Dough should be sticky, but workable. The correct texture should be slightly sticky but workable. This means that it shouldn’t be sticking to your hands too much that its not manageable. If it is, try sprinkling a little extra flour over the dough.
- Fry until both sides are a deep golden brown. To ensure the inside is fully cooked the outside should be a deep golden brown and crispy all over. Test the first donut before frying the rest to ensure you’re at the right oil temperature. If the donut is still raw on the inside, your oil is too hot.
- All donuts to cool before glazing. For the right glazing consistency your donuts should be cooled completely before glazing and topping.
S’mores Donuts Recipe Troubleshooting & FAQ:
What if my donuts aren’t fully cooked in the middle?
This means your oil is too hot and the outside is cooking quicker than the middle. To fix this, decrease your oil temperature by 10 degrees and continue frying. This should allow the outside to cook at the same time as the middle.
Why are my donuts dry?
This means you’re overcooking your donuts. Deep fry them a little shorter to keep them soft and moist in the middle.
How to make S’mores Donuts with Chocolate Glaze:
S'mores Donuts with Chocolate Glaze and Marshmallows
- 240 g all-purpose flour
- 60 g graham cracker crumbs
- 100 g white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 1 flax egg
- 120 mL non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 150 g icing sugar
- 30 g cacao powder
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- graham cracker crumbs
Before you start: make sure you've made your flax egg by combining 1 tbsp ground flax seed and 3 tbsp water. Set aside to thicken.
- Being preheating your deep fryer to 325 - 350F. Be careful and watch it as you move through the recipe. Leaving hot oil unattended can be very dangerous.
- To a bowl combine non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- To a bowl combine flour, graham cracker crumbs, sugar, baking powder, and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- To the non-dairy milk mixture add flax egg, melted butter and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Create a well in the middle of your dry mixture and pour in the wet mixture. Fold the wet into the dry until just combined. You want a sticky, yet workable dough.
- Flour a clean surface and place your dough in the centre. Dust top and your hands with flour and press into a 1-inch disk. Cut out donuts with a cookie cutter and using a 1/2"-1" cookie cutter cut out the hole in the middle. You can also do this using a piping tip.
- Place the donuts in the deep fry oil just 2-4 at a time depending the size of your deep fryer/dutch oven. Be careful it you don't have a fry basket as if you don't have enough oil and they are touching the bottom of your pot they can burn very easily. Fry until a deep golden brown on both sides.
- Allow fried donuts to cool on a rack while you fry the rest of the donuts.
- To make the chocolate icing combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- One at a time, dip the tops of the cooked donuts in the chocolate icing, top with marshmallows, drizzle with more chocolate icing, and sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs.
Pin it for later: