Loaded with holiday spices, this Spiced Chex Mix makes a great snack or gift. Just combine mixed nuts, chex, pretzels and corn nuts together with a flavourful glaze and bake until golden.
One of my favourite holiday snacks was something I (Kat) only recently enjoyed. During one of my first holiday dinners with my boyfriend’s family I was given a bag full of delicious chex mix from his grandma and since then has been one of the things I look forward to every year. The holidays looked different this year and unfortunately we weren’t able to get together with family so instead I made a Spiced Chex Mix inspired by hers.
This recipe isn’t exactly hers, in fact I don’t know how to make hers at all but this Spiced Chex Mix seriously hits the spot. Made with a delicious spice blend and a mix of chex, nuts, pretzels and corn nuts – this will be your new go-to holiday (or any day) snack.
How to make the best Spiced Chex Mix:
- Variety is key. When making a delicious chex mix you should look for a variety of add-ins. Look for ingredients like mixed nuts and pretzels.
- Don’t shy away from the spice. You want this to be a punch of flavour in every bite. Taste along the way and add more spices according to your taste.
- Store in an air-tight container for the longest lifespan. Once baked and cooled, keep any leftovers in an air-tight container to keep it from going stale.
Spiced Chex Mix FAQ:
What is the perfect ratio of chex to add-ins?
We like to have a 1:1 ratio of chex to add-ins. So if you have 3 cups of add-ins, you should have 3 cups of chex cereal. You can make up the chex half with a couple different flavours of chex cereal if you want.
Can I use a different cereal?
Yes! Please make this recipe what you want but remember that we haven’t tested the recipe any other way. If looking to swap chex for something similar, we’d recommend shreddies.
What if I’m allergic to nuts?
You can leave out the nuts or swap it for something you’re not allergic to. You can try dried fruit, seeds, and other crackers/snack foods.
Spiced Chex Mix
- 60 mL (¼ cup) vegan butter, melted
- 60 mL (¼ cup) maple syrup
- 5 g (2 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 2 g (1 tsp) ground nutmeg
- 1 g (½ tsp) ginger powder
- 1 g (½ tsp) ground cloves
- 1 g (½ tsp) cayenne powder
- 112 g (4 cups) rice chex cereal
- 84 g (1 cup) roasted corn nuts
- 37 g (1 cup) pretzels
- 130 g (1 cup) mixed nuts
- 56 g (1 cup) peanuts
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- To a large bowl combine melted butter and maple syrup – whisk until combined. Add spices and mix until combined. Add in the chex, corn nuts, pretzels, mixed nuts and peanuts and toss until all coated.
- Evenly spread on a lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, toss and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool completely on baking sheet before transferring to an air-tight container for storing.
Pin it for later: