Sweet and spicy in every bite. This Spicy Maple Chex Mix is a delicious snack with the perfect balance of flavours. You’ll be eating this by the handful!
Craving something sweet and spicy? We’ve got the perfect snack for you! This Spicy Maple Chex Mix is simple yet delicious, and super satisfying. We love to make a big batch of this and store it in our pantry for when we’re craving something spicy, yet sweet. It’s also great for on the go! Pack some up in a reusable container and have a delicious snack handy when you get hungry.
Chex Mix is one of our favourite snacks! It’s a delicious mix, the majority made of up of Chex cereal. It can have a variety of different additions like chips, pretzels, nuts, seeds, bagel chips, and any other crunchy snacks. Check out our Sesame Chex Mix for a mix with sesame sticks, rice crackers, and nori!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- It’s sweet and salty in one bite.
- Super quick and easy to make.
- Made with 11 simple ingredients.
Top tips for making Chex Mix:
- Don’t skimp on the butter or maple syrup. The maple syrup is one of the main ingredients so we don’t recommend decreasing the quantity. The butter is what gives it a golden colour, a crunchy exterior, and a satiating flavour – don’t use any less than we write in the recipe.
- Adjust the heat if needed. Not everyone loves spice, so feel free to adjust it based on your own taste buds.
- Don’t crowd your pan. For the most even bake, use a pan that’s big enough to spread out in a single layer.
- Bake low and slow. For the best bake you want a low temperature for a longer cook time.
- Allow to cool completely. Before storing make sure that the mix has cooled completely. This will help it keep its crunch for longer.
Chex mix is simple but we know that not everyone has access to every ingredient. We’ve included possible swaps and other important notes on ingredients below.
- Chex – We don’t have Corn Chex in Canada so we used all Rice Chex. But if you can get Corn Chex, we’d recommend using half of each. It would offer a delicious depth of flavour in every bite.
- Maple Syrup – This is a must use ingredient. We know some may be tempted to use other liquid sweeteners but we recommend sticking with maple syrup as its the perfect consistency and has the right flavour.
- Cayenne – If you’re not a big fan of heat you can leave this out. You can also swap this for another pepper powder of your choosing.
- Pecans – If you’re allergic to nuts feel free to substitute this with more pretzels or your choice of crunchy addition.
How long can chex mix be stored?
Store this mix in an air-tight container for up to 3 months!
Do I have to use Chex for this?
Of course not! Chex is one of our favourite cereals for mixes like this, but Shreddies also work really well!
More vegan snack recipe you’ll love:
How to make Spicy Maple Chex Mix:
Spicy Maple Chex Mix with Pecans and Pretzels
- 60 mL (¼ cup) maple syrup
- 25 g (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- 28½ g (2 tbsp) vegan butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cayenne
- pinch salt
- 90 g (3 cups) rice chex
- 30 g (½ cup) pretzels
- 65 g (½ cup) pecans
- Preheat oven to 250F.
- Add maple syrup, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne, and salt to a sauce pan over medium-low heat. Bring to a soft boil. Once boiling reduce heat to low and let cook for 3-4 minutes without stirring. Remove from the heat and stir. Set aside.
- Add rice chex, pretzels, and pecans to a bowl and pour over maple mixture. Toss until coated.
- Spread mixture on a lined baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Let cool and eat!