Summer is here. The two best things about summer is the abundance of fresh produce and the sun! These Fresh Rolls embody summer. Packed full of delicious vegetables and easy to make. That way you don’t waste too much cherished sun time making lunch. But let’s take a set back for a minute. What the heck even are fresh rolls?
Fresh Rolls are in a sense spring rolls. Instead of being deep fried, the ingredients inside are mostly raw and the wrapper is eaten as is. They’re made using rice paper wrappers that are soaked in water for a few seconds to make them pliable. Fill it with your favourite fruit, vegetables and proteins and roll just like you would a burrito. We’ve even seen people fill it with rice or noodles! Pair with a delicious savoury sauce for dipping and you’ve got yourself a delicious meal.
As you can image fresh rolls are super easy to make and completely customizable. When summer is here we don’t want to spend all day inside making a meal – that’s when theses beauties come in handy. Not to mention they are great fridge cleaners. If you have a bunch of scrap produce leftover, throw them into a fresh roll and you’ve got yourself a delicious meal. All you need to do is pair it with a great sauce.
We enjoy these as full meals, but they’d also make great appetizers and snacks. When you go to make these remember that there’s a learning curve. Like pancakes, the first couple will look odd. As you make more they’ll get better and better, all it takes is some practice.
Fresh Rolls with Peanut DipPrint
- 6 rice paper sheets
- 1 medium carrots
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 3/4 cup of cilantro
- 1/4 english cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 block tofu
- 1 tsp sesame oil, for frying
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- To make our dipping sauce combine your sesame oil, soy sauce, peanut butter, lime juice, chili flakes, ginger powder and garlic powder in a bowl and whisk together.
- We are aiming for a pancake batter consistency, add water until you get the desired consistence. We added about 2 tbsp of water. Set sauce aside.
- Slice your block of tofu in half length wise and thinly slice. You re aiming for slices about 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Add your frying sesame oil to a pan and fry your tofu on each side until golden brown.
- Scoop about 3 tbsp of your peanut sauce into a small bowl and microwave until warm. Coat your tofu pieces lightly in the sauce. Set aside.
- To prep your veggies thinly slice them into long pieces. It is almost like how you would cut your sushi fillings.
- Once all your fillings are prepped add warm water to a shallow dish and soak your rice paper one at a time. They only need to soak about 10 seconds then remove them a begin to construct your rolls.
- Add all of the desired fillings to your rolls, we added a little bit of everything to each roll. Be sure to leave about an inch on the top and bottom of the roll to fold it in.
- Roll up your fresh rolls (carefully!) as you would roll a burrito. Repeat for each roll.
- Serve and enjoy!