American Thanksgiving is right around the corner! You already got a recipe for Thanksgiving Lasagna that everyone is going to love, but what about dessert?
As most of you know, we live in Canada where Thanksgiving has come and gone already and where Sweet Potato Casserole is not really a thing, but we do know about it. We’ll admit we find it a little bit odd, however we wanted to give it a try. Of course we weren’t ready for the real thing, so we thought we would make a dessert out of it, because marshmallows seem like more of a dessert thing anyways.
These sweet potato cookies are the perfect balance of sweet and savoury and when they are topped with the marshmallow fluff it is the perfect Thanksgiving dessert. Best part is, no one will believe it is vegan! We fed these to our families on Canadian Thanksgiving and everyone loved them! Hardly anyone touched the pumpkin pie.
The marshmallow fluff adds the perfect touch of sweetness to a fairly savoury cookie, and is actually super easy to make. Would you believe this icing is almost wholly chickpea water? You know that water in a can of chickpeas that you always throw out because it looks kind of gross? Yea that water! We know it is hard to believe, but trust.
You’ll watch them disappear in front of your very eyes! Everyone will be going back for seconds, thirds and probably fourths. If you make enough of course. So take this as a warning, make a double batch, at least.
Pro Tip: Wait to make the marshmallow fluff until about 10 minutes before they are ready to be served. Because it is so delicate it deflates very easily. Ours deflated because we made it about an hour before dinner, but we were able to re-whip it just before serving and it turned out fine!
Sweet Potato Cookies w/ Marshmallow Fluff IcingPrint
- 1 large sweet potato, 1 cup mashed
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 flax egg, 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup aqua faba, chickpea water from can
- 1 tsp xantham gum
- 1/4 cup liquid sweetener, maple syrup, agave, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Boil water in a medium sized pot. While the water is boiling peal your sweet potatoes and dice into small pieces. Add to the boiling water and cook until fork tender.
- To a stand mixer add your sugar and coconut oil and mix until creamed together.
- Your potatoes should be ready by now, you want to drain and mash them with a potato masher. Take 1 cup of the mashed potato and add it to your sugar and oil mix.
- Add your flax egg and mix until everything is combined. It should be a liquidy mix.
- In a separate bowl combine your flour, baking soda and all your spices.
- With your mixer set to low, slowly add in your flour mixture small amounts at a time until it is all mixed in. You should have a fairly elastic dough at the end.
- Roll your dough into 15 even balls and place about 2 inches apart on a lined baking sheet.
- Using something flat (like a measuring cup) press your dough balls down until they are disks.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden around the edges.
- Add your marshmallow fluff ingredients in your stand mixer with the whisk attachment and whisk on low-medium for about 2 minutes, then on high for about 8 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Be sure your cookies are completely cooled before you add your fluff or it will just fall off.
- Because the icing is so light, it is okay to add quite a good layer of it to your cookies!
How to make Vegan Sweet Potato Cookies with Marshmallow Fluff