We love tacos. Can you tell? From Taco Pizza to Tofu Tacos to Taco Dip and now Taco Pockets. Can you blame us though? Tacos are everything to everyone, the internet has a serious love affair with tacos. Now we’re helping to feed that affair.
The product of a random brainstorm session. We were shooting ideas to each other back and forth and stumble upon this genius. After a search through the fridge, we realized all the necessary ingredients were present. We tested, we loved and ten minutes later were filming the recipe video. We love recipe like these. Recipes that can be made with everyday ingredients and little to no time.
All you need is puff pastry and your favourite taco ingredients. Who doesn’t keep taco ingredients in their home at all times? First, cut the puff pastry into triangles your desired size. Fill each pocket with ground round, cheese, salsa and all your favourite taco toppings. Serve with a dipping sauce of sour cream, cilantro, lime juice and sriracha.
These delicious pockets are perfect for your next party whether it’s a game day or a birthday party. Taco themed birthday anyone?
- 1 pkg puff pastry
- 1 pkg vegan ground round
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp hot chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp + 1 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 lime, divided
- 1/3 cup vegan shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream
- 1 heaping tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sriracha
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Generously flour a large clean surface. Place your puff pastry in the middle and flour your puff pastry. This will avoid sticking when rolling out.
- Roll out your puff pastry into a large rectangle about 1/8" thick.
- Slice your puff pastry into triangles your desired size. Use your first triangle to cut out the rest. You should get at least 12 triangles, in order to make six pockets. Set triangles aside.
- In a pan on medium heat add vegan ground round, smoked paprika, onion powder, hot chili powder, cumin and 1 tbsp garlic powder. Mix well.
- Add salsa and mix until all incorporated. Set aside.
- To make the guacamole slice your avocado and scoop into a bowl. Mash it with a potato masher or fork until desired consistency.
- Finely dice your jalapeno and add to your avocado, plus half a lime's worth of juice and 1 tsp of garlic powder. Mix well until combined.
- On a lined baking sheet lay out half of your puff pastry pocket triangles, add about 1.5 tbsp of guacamole and spread on each triangle. Leave about 1 cm from each edge free of guacamole.
- Top with some ground round and vegan shredded cheese.
- Brush the edges with a little bit of water to help seal the pockets and place a second puff pastry triangle over top. Press the two pockets together around the edges to seal. Then take a fork and press the spears into the pastry all around the edges to ensure no leakage when baking. Repeat for all triangles.
- Brush the tops of each with a little bit of oil to help make golden brown when baking. With a sharp knife make 3 small slits on the top of each pocket. These are to let air out and avoid exploding pockets.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- While baking make your dipping sauce by combining vegan sour cream, finely chopped cilantro, 1/2 a lime juiced, sriracha and 1 tsp garlic powder.
How to make Vegan Taco Pockets