Healthy, hearty and delicious Thai Peanut Buddha Bowl packed full of delicious veggies and vegan mock chicken.
When we’re looking for wholesome, delicious and filling meals we turn to buddha bowls. There are a lot of different ideas out there as to what a buddha bowl actually is. Through our research we decided that a buddha bowl is a filling dish made with a various ingredients like greens, raw or roasted veggies, proteins and a healthy grain – all topped with a delicious dressing or sauce. Even with the definition we had a lot of trouble deciding whether or not what we made was in fact a buddha bowl. In the end obviously we decided it was buddha bowl enough.
Devin pulled out all her favourites for this bowl – peanut sauce, vegan chick’n, edamame and cilantro of course! Sitting on a bed of rice, this thai peanut buddha bowl is full of nutrients from the vegan protein to the medley of veggies. But let’s breakdown what exactly makes this bowl so delicious.
- Marinated Vegan Chicken. Just because it’s vegan doesn’t mean you shouldn’t prepare it like any other chicken. By marinated your choice of vegan chicken you’re infusing so much flavour into each bite before you even being to cook it up.
- Textures. The key to a good dish is a mix of different textures. From the pillow-y rice to the tender vegan chicken, crispy edamame and the creamy peanut sauce each texture compliments the other perfectly.
- Spicy Peanut Sauce. Is there anything peanut butter can’t make better? This spicy creamy peanut butter sauce is the perfect topping for this delicious bowl.
Looking to meal prep this one? Prepare each component separately and store in the fridge in sealed containers. When you’re ready to pack up a bowl for work just combine all the components in a lunch box, except the sauce! The sauce you’ll want to store separately and pour over just before you’re ready to eat.
Thai Peanut Buddha Bowl
- 400 g (2 cups) cooked basmati rice
- 227 g vegan chicken of choice
- 110 g (2/3 cup) edamame
- 124 g (1 cup) chopped cucumber
- 78 g (3/4 cup) carrot, grated
- 5 g cilantro, roughly chopped
- 20 g dry roasted peanuts, chopped
Red Curry Marinade
- 4 g (1 tsp) brown sugar
- 14 g (2 tsp) red curry paste
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) coconut milk
- pinch salt
- 85 g (1/3 cup) peanut butter
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) lime juice
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) soy sauce
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) water
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) sesame oil
- 4 g (1 tsp) chili flakes
- 4 g (1 tsp) ginger powder
- 4 g (1 tsp) garlic powder
- Cook your rice according to package instructions or in a rice cooker. You could also use leftover rice for this.
- Make the red curry sauce by combining brown sugar, curry paste, coconut milk and salt. Stir to combine.
- To a container add the vegan chicken and pour over the red curry marinade. Toss to coat and set aside the marinade about 10-15 minutes.
- While that marinates combine all the peanut sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth.
- To a pan on medium heat add the marinated chicken and cook until golden brown and crispy.
- To assemble, add rice to a bowl, then chicken, edamame, chopped cucumber, grated carrot, pour the peanut sauce over and top with cilantro and chopped peanuts
Looking for more delicious healthy lunch ideas?