“Did you perhaps confuse this with your own turkey sandwich with a moist maker?” – Ross Geller
Hands up if you love Friends. People tend to either love or hate the show, but we’re two people that LOVE the show. It just so happens that today is the 25th anniversary of one of our favourite shows ever. In honour of this momentum occasion we dedicated today’s video to some of our favourite food moments from Friends. When you think food moments in Friends, lots come to mind, but one of the most popular is The Moist Maker.
So what is a moist maker? Famously made by Monica Geller, The Moist Maker is a leftover turkey sandwich with an extra gravy soaked piece of bread in the middle, aka the moist maker. If you’ve seen the show you’ll understand just how much this sandwich means to Ross, so we had to do it justice.
Who would enjoy The Moist Maker?
- FRIENDS Superfans
- Lovers of Thanksgiving
- Everybody else.
There isn’t a lot of information on the sandwich in the show. We know that it’s a turkey leftover sandwich and that it has a gravy soaked slice of bread in the middle, but that’s it. To make this sandwich we used a little creativity and TMG flair to make it our own while still keeping true to what we know about the original.
To make this sandwich we started with the turkey. We LOVE using Tofurkey Lightly Seasoned Chick’n in place of turkey – to make the flavour ring true we added some common turkey seasonings. Next up we made a stuffing, because is it even Thanksgiving leftovers if you don’t have stuffing? We made a batch of our Classic Thanksgiving Stuffing which did the job. Finally we made a delicious cranberry mustard to top it off. Plus instead of just plain pieces of bread, we decided it would be best to toast them, that way they hold up to the gravy better.
The Moist Maker
A Thanksgiving turkey sandwich with an extra piece of gravy soaked bread in the middle. Heaven.Print Pin It
- 9 slices bread
- 1 batch vegan gravy*
- 1 batch classic vegan stuffing**
- 1 pkg Tofurkey Lightly Season Chick'n
- 1 tsp sage powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- salt + pepper, , to taste
- 25 g (1/4 cup) thawed cranberries
- 80 mL (1/3 cup) mustard
- Make a batch of our vegan mushroom gravy. Set aside.
- Make a batch of our vegan classic stuffing. Set aside.
- To a saucepan on medium heat add the Tofurkey chick'n and all the seasonings. Toss to combine and cook until the Tofurkey has slightly browned. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- To a blender or food processor make the cranberry mustard by blending mustard and thawed cranberries.
- To construct, you want to spread the cranberry mustard on one side of two slices of bread. Top one with vegan turkey, then soak a third slice of bread in gravy place on top of the turkey, top with stuffing and place the second bread with cranberry mustard on top. Repeat for a second sandwich.